when's my puberty over?

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
Lyle Lanley
not a newbie
Pronouns: any
Sexual identity: genderqueer bisexual butch

when's my puberty over?

Unread post by Lyle Lanley »

i thought that my body was done growing and that i now had the phisyonomy of an adult. apparently it isn't so.
i had a growth spurt last year, my body is changing shape constantly, and only recently is my acne acting up when i've had smooth skin for the rest of my life.
plus, i only started to feel real sexual feelings/arousal last summer (what i had prior was a mix of trauma response and peer pressure)

even though i got my first period when i was 11 years old, now at 16 i am still in the middle of puberty. how? why? when will this be over? i want to know what my definitive height and voice developement will be. i feel disproportioned and weird.
Carly
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Re: when's my puberty over?

Unread post by Carly »

Hey Lyle -- I'm sorry this is causing you so much stress. Unfortunately, this is a bit hard to answer because everyone's bodies are so different. Most people's bodies are finished with puberty by the time they've reached their 20's, some earlier and some later. Puberty takes a long time to complete, and doesn't always happen in the order one can expect. So, though I can't tell you what's going on in your case, I can say that starting a period at 11 and still being in throws at 16 sounds pretty normal. We have a really nice resource about the weirdness of puberty, which you can check out here.

Is there anything else we can clear up about it? How does it feel knowing you might have a few years left to go?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic