Boosting Body Image

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
Michaela
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I have yet to find a craft that I do not love
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer

Boosting Body Image

Unread post by Michaela »

Self-love and accepting our body as it is… two things society can make pretty difficult to master. We have an article that talks about just that Sex Goddess Blues: The Pressure to Look Perfect. However, recently, I watched a TedTalk by sex educator Emily Nagoski where she shared a tip on how to start to build up some of that love for the body that you call home. It was very simple, but not always the easiest.
  • Stand in front of the mirror in as close to your birthday suit as you feel comfortable.
  • Point out just one thing that you love about your body, no matter how small (e.g. your finger nails, the way your hair looks, your wrists, or even a freckle).
  • Repeat daily.
She warns that all the harmful cultural narratives and negative self-talk will probably surface but to set that aside in this moment to, instead, focus on what you do like. Eventually, this may help to overwrite some of those voices so that the more true and loving one can be heard.

What other things have you found success with to help you love your body and feel more confident? A specific outfit, ritual, dance routine, activity, mantra, etc?