Query Regarding Visiting the Doctors

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
GS_6
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Hetro

Query Regarding Visiting the Doctors

Unread post by GS_6 »

Hi. I hope everyone at Scarleteen is doing well.

I have a friend who I've known since nursery. They asked me a question and I was wondering if you could help them.

I've asked for their consent and they've agreed that it's fine for me to post this question.

My friend who is an 18-year-old male has had a problem with his back passage for a while where the skin keeps tearing.

He's said that he's not constipated, eats extremely healthy and has normal bowel movements.

He was prescribed some cream to use for 7 days and to get in touch with his GP if the problem still continued.

His main question is - 'Would it be weird for him to ask for a female doctor rather than a male doctor to examine him?'

He spoke to a male doctor originally and they made him feel embarrassed about the whole situation.

I hope to hear from someone soon so that I can share your view on this with them.
Sofi
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I make my own nail art!
Primary language: Spanish or English
Pronouns: she/they
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: Query Regarding Visiting the Doctors

Unread post by Sofi »

Hi there, no, it wouldn't be inappropriate for him to ask for a female doctor for this examination. There are several reasons people could be more comfortable with a woman doctor for things like these, especially if they've had a negative experience with a male doctor who made them feel ashamed. It may not be common, but it's okay for him to politely ask for a woman doctor this time around if it makes him feel more comfortable.
GS_6
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Hetro

Re: Query Regarding Visiting the Doctors

Unread post by GS_6 »

Hi Sofi. Thank you for your reply.

I will let him know and fingers crossed, the appointment goes well.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic