why do I have so much vaginal discharge?

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
utgard
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: lesbian

why do I have so much vaginal discharge?

Unread post by utgard »

so, as the title says, I'm getting a lot of vaginal discharge and I have no idea why?

I was on the pill for a while to control my periods and then after a while they stopped working and my period wouldn't stop, but then I went off them 3 months ago and my period hasn't happened since, and now I have a lot of vaginal discharge everyday so it's possibly related? Oh and no I'm not pregnant btw, because I've never had sex.

it doesn't smell bad, but it does have a fairly strong smell, like I can smell it through my clothes, possibly because there's a lot of it?

Also sometimes my vagina and the area around it is itchy, especially when the discharge touches it, but it's not so bad that I get rashes or stuff like that.

so yeah, what should I do? Should I be worried?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: why do I have so much vaginal discharge?

Unread post by Heather »

Hi there, utgard. Welcome to the boards.

No matter what is or isn't going on with your discharge, it sounds like you should check in with a/your OB/GYN. Having periods that won't stop and then not having them for several months are both things that should be investigated to be sure you're okay. While you're there, you can also have the discharge checked out.

Since one of the ways the pill works is to make the vagina drier, it's possible that it's just by comparison that it seems like you have a lot of discharge and nothing is actually wrong there. (It's also possible that going without periods for a few months at a time isn't about anything wrong, too, for the record, but it is good to be sure.) At the same time, if you are also having some odor with it and some itchiness, I'd say it's worth making sure you don't have a genital infection that needs treatment.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic