Might already be dealing with fertility Issues

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
Rocky
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I have Martin Landau's autograph
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They/them
Sexual identity: Pansexual, nonbinary

Might already be dealing with fertility Issues

Unread post by Rocky »

Hello

I mentioned in a couple of other threads that a couple of years ago, I had to get a huge fibroid tumor removed from my uterus after it almost caused me to bleed to death. I knew that it was very possible that the fibroid would grow back, but I thought that it would be a while. A few weeks ago, I went back to the doctor to have my IUD checked, because I wanted to make sure it was in the right place before potentially becoming sexually active when I am back on campus. The IUD was in the correct place, but they discovered that another tiny fibroid was starting to grow in there, and that there was cyst fluid on one of my ovaries. Fortunately, given my medical history, the doctor knows to take action if things begin to look problematic, and hopefully the IUD will slow down the growth, but I'm 20 years old, and I still haven't even had sex yet, I shouldn't have to be dealing with this much stuff already. I really don't know if I want kids or not, but I at least wanted the option to carry one, but ever since I found out that I might not be able to, I have been thinking about it more the past few weeks. Kind of funny given that a couple of years ago when I got hospitalized, I was adamant about not wanting to be pregnant, well, people do change their minds. As of now, I have only told my parents and a couple of friends, and my mom told a friend of hers who isn't a doctor, but works in medicine, and she agrees that I shouldn't stress about it now, but it is definitely something to keep an eye on. It's something that I try not to think about too often, but it's rough.
Lu C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I can pick up languages easily
Primary language: Spanish
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Cisgender Heterosexual

Re: Might already be dealing with fertility Issues

Unread post by Lu C »

Hi Amthyst!

I absolutely understand what you are saying, as a person who deals with gynecological problems from a young age myself. It can be really frustrating to feel that the possibility of getting pregnant is taken away from you before you even had a chance to give it a thought. It's definitely something worth grieving and there is nothing wrong in feeling sad, stressed or conflicted about this.

However, I know from first hand that these issues are hormonal and can resolve with treatment over time. Of course there is also the chance that they won't but there is no way of knowing that now. I guess what I am trying to say is that perhaps these can be opportunities for thinking about what you want for your life and what would you choose to do in different scenarios, should you have or not the possibility of getting pregnant. Does this resonate with you?
Rocky
not a newbie

Unread post by Rocky »

Yes it does. I still have no idea with what I want to do with my life, and like I already said, my thoughts on whether or not I want kids have been all over the place. It would depend on where I am in 7 - 10 years, with what I am doing for a living, and if I have a partner who I would want to have a family with. Right now, I feel like if I did have kids one of these days, I would only want one kid, since I did grow up being an only child, and that I would want the kid before I turned 35, but I know I might change my mind. I know that there are other options if I do decide I want kids and can't get pregnant, but I hope I can have the option.
Lu C
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I can pick up languages easily
Primary language: Spanish
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Cisgender Heterosexual

Unread post by Lu C »

I really hope you do! In any case, I'm sure the answers will become more clear with time and thought. I believe sometimes things have a way of working themselves out, you know?
Rocky
not a newbie

Unread post by Rocky »

Yeah, given that I survived a fibroid tumor nearly killing me. My mom says that she considers me to be a pretty tough person after going through that. I'm just glad that my doctor knows to take action quickly if things begin to look problematic.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

I'd say I agree with your mom; that's a heck of a scary, rough situation to have already dealt with. And I'm glad that your healthcare provider is being vigilant around this.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic