About Shaving

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
Krys
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I think i'm great at making poems
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Cisgender

About Shaving

Unread post by Krys »

Hello! I need some advice about shaving. I want to shave because I don't want hairs down there. This is my first time shaving so I need some advice. What are the things you usually need when shaving? How do you properly shave in particular? I heard you can have ingrown hairs if you don't shave properly and I don't want that. Thanks!

Ps. I already read 'troublesome pubes' but the question is not similar to mine.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Re: About Shaving

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Krys,

If you're wanting to remove your pubic hair, both shaving and waxing are an option (waxing seems to be less likely to result in ingrown hairs or other bumps). If you don't want it completely gone but to just be a little "tidier," you can also trim it with scissors. If you want more advice on how to shave safely, this page is a good starting place: https://kidshealth.org/en/teens/shaving-query.html.

Too, it may help to think about why you want to shave. Is it for a partner? Your own comfort? Something else entirely?
Krys
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I think i'm great at making poems
Sexual identity: Cisgender

Unread post by Krys »

It's for my own comfort. Sometimes when the hairs are too long they become itchy. And I think it would be cleaner down there if I shave.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Got it. One thing to keep in mind is that shaving or waxing will also involve some itchiness when the hair starts to grow back, but it's up to you whether that's more comfortable than the itchiness that comes with not shaving. As for those worries about cleanliness, this article does a good job of breaking down the ways shaving or not does (or does not) affect things like health: https://www.scarleteen.com/article/advi ... the_answer.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I do just want to add that one thing pubic hair does is help keep bacteria *out* of the vestibule and internal genitalia. That doesn't mean it isn't okay to trim or remove pubic hair if that's what you want to do, it's just to say that doing so actually doesn't the opposite of keeping it "cleaner." Rather, it removes something that helps do that.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
bazookasos
not a newbie
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Female

Unread post by bazookasos »

Try using something natural like witch hazel to soothe bumps. They are often from ingrown hairs, so I would exfoliate the area well before you shave, and moisturize afterward. I DO love getting waxed though. You stay smooth for weeks and when the hair does come back, it's finer and there isn't that insane itching like there is with shaving.
EdSnow
not a newbie
Sexual identity: bisexual

Unread post by EdSnow »

I shave at the end of a hot shower so the hair is nice and soft with regular hair conditioner and usually a new razor (I use men's only, they're so much better). And then I put coconut oil on afterward and it seems to help. I also noticed that if I wait as long as possible in between shaves that I get way less irritation. I used to get razor burn really badly on my bikini line but I've been doing the above stuff for a while and it's gone down by like 95%. Good luck!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic