Is my hymen normal?

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
Kela
not a newbie
Primary language: UK English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Cisgender and Straight

Is my hymen normal?

Unread post by Kela »

Hi!

It’s been a while since I’ve been here again! Good to be back :D I’ve googled and googled but can’t find an answer to my question :(

So my health anxiety has been really bad recently, and as part of my worries I’ve been obsessively checking my vulva region. I’ve noticed some things that I’m not sure are normal.

Firstly, I seem to have lips within my inner labia lips, right round my Vaginal opening. I think it might be hymen remenants. I’ve googled it and it comes up with something called ‘parous introitous hymen’. I can’t seem to find any info on this, but it says it happens after childbirth or sexual assault, neither of which I’ve had. I’ve got like slits halfway down these flaps, almost as if they were split at some point but just grew back like that. Does that sound normal?

Also, I think I might have Vestibular Papillomatosis (?) have you got any info on this condition?

Also, another question, if I’ve had the HPV jab, does that also protect against getting HPV through oral sex?

Thanks in advance :D hope you’re all keeping safe x
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Is my hymen normal?

Unread post by Mo »

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having so much anxiety about your health, lately. We really can't know what it is that you're seeing, and I think doing searches for information isn't likely to be super helpful for you, either; in general googling symptoms tends to just feed into medical anxiety instead of calming it down.
If you haven't seen this article, it has some information and illustrations that might be a helpful resource: My Corona: The Anatomy Formerly Known as the Hymen & the Myths That Surround It.
Because you have a lot of questions about things you'd really need a doctor to diagnose or explain to you, I think it might be helpful to schedule an appointment with your doctor or gynecologist, if you're able, and bring some of these questions to them. We can't diagnose anything or give medical advice, but it does sound like talking to a doctor might ease some of your worries a bit.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic