Trimming Pubic Hair

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
peppercorn
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm starting to live proudly out.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her/hers
Sexual identity: lesbian

Trimming Pubic Hair

Unread post by peppercorn »

I am considering having sex with a partner for the first time (we have discussed how to be safe regarding covid) and I would like to trim my pubic hair so that there is easier access, but I don't like the idea of shaving or waxing it completely. I've looked at some resources online but they all say different things, and a lot suggest exfoliating and using shaving cream. How can I tell if the soap and shaving cream I have is safe to use in that area? How do I know whether to use scissors, clippers, or a razor, or some combination? I am also not really sure of how to go about trimming in general as I have no experience or idea of ways to "style" or "shape" it, and I live in a dorm, so I have to stand while doing it since I'll be using a public shower stall. Basically, I'm looking for a crash course on safe trimming. Thanks!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Trimming Pubic Hair

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi peppercorn,

What tool you use depends on where and how much you're trying to trim back. If you're just trying to trim it back for clearer access, then trimming it with scissors usually does the trick. Some people do use a razor to try and shape it more, but that's more about aesthetics, which don't sound like your main concern.

If you do decide to shave, a normal razor is fine, though it's best if you use a mild soap or shaving cream, since that's less likely to irritate the vaginal area. Does that help?
peppercorn
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm starting to live proudly out.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her/hers
Sexual identity: lesbian

Unread post by peppercorn »

Yes, that is helpful!

I have shaved along the edges before (just what's visible out the edge of my swimsuit) and gotten ingrown hairs, is that a risk at all with trimming? Would standard scissors work okay, or should I get smaller ones/ones for hair?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Trimming won't create ingrowns because it doesn't cut off hair under or at the root or get right up to the surface oif the skin. Big scissors can be tricky (then again, I have tiny hands), so generally, hair scissors or smaller scissors for eyebrows or cuticles are easier to manage and tougher to hurt yourself with.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic