My co-workers say I smell? Really?

Questions and discussions about your bodies and their parts.
PartySarah
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I’m a girl that likes to party
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Straight

My co-workers say I smell? Really?

Unread post by PartySarah »

I work as a female lifeguard at a beach, and because i have a long drive home (and a 6 year old girl at home, which makes getting a shower at home really difficult as she needs attention and I cannot get privacy as she would walk in) shower at work. We have a outdoor shower, with a curtain for privacy & a Cubicle/stall around it. But my male co-workers say the shower ‘smells’ like ‘girl’ after I’m done. I really don’t know how to respond to these comments?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: My co-workers say I smell? Really?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi PartySarah,

That certainly is a weird comment to make about a coworker. Do you think they're referring to products you use, like soap or shampoo (since people associate different scents with different genders)? Or does it seem like they're referring to your body in some way?
awesomepossum
Awesomeness Quotient: I am always ready with a new science fact
Sexual identity: Heterosexual

Unread post by awesomepossum »

This really sounds like someone (literally) sticking their nose where it doesn't belong. I'm also curious if they are referring to the bath products you use. As silly as it is to gender bath products, brands really have a funny way of making sure every " female" product is scented like roses and dewdrops and every "male" scent is wood and pine. Even so, it's super odd that this would be something worthy of comment to them.

If they are commenting on the natural smell of your body, that seems like something you might want to bring up to a supervisor, especially if it is happening often. It is totally inappropriate for your coworkers to comment on your body in that manner, and you should not have to deal with that kind of behavior in your workplace.

Best of luck!
PartySarah
not a newbie

Sam W wrote:Hi PartySarah,

That certainly is a weird comment to make about a coworker. Do you think they're referring to products you use, like soap or shampoo (since people associate different scents with different genders)? Or does it seem like they're referring to your body in some way?
It seemed from the tone of the conversation that they were referring to my body! they said it smells like girl butt and like a cat!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

It sounds like they're mainly just being rude. Setting aside things like scented products, people don't smell all that different in the shower, and you certainly can't tell what gender of person was in the shower before you by smell. Are they still doing this, or was it a one-time thing?
PartySarah
not a newbie

Sam W wrote:It sounds like they're mainly just being rude. Setting aside things like scented products, people don't smell all that different in the shower, and you certainly can't tell what gender of person was in the shower before you by smell. Are they still doing this, or was it a one-time thing?
Still doing it, reported it to my supervisor!
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

It sounds like that was a good next step. Sorry your co-workers are continuing to harass you like this.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic