Miscarriage vs Period

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
haikyufan123
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: i can touch my nose with my tongue
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: hetero

Miscarriage vs Period

Unread post by haikyufan123 »

Hi Scarleteen staff! I was wondering what’s the difference between a miscarriage and a period? How are they different?
al
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make zines!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Miscarriage vs Period

Unread post by al »

Hi there haikyufan123, and welcome to Scarleteen!

A period is the result of a monthly cycle in which the body normally prepares to ovulate, ovulates, and then sheds the uterine lining if pregnancy does not occur. Periods often happen on a regular cycle (26-32 days, depending on the person), but they can be influenced by stress, medications, and changes in diet. If someone is taking a hormonal form of birth control, periods and their side effects tend to be a bit lighter and a bit more predictable.

A miscarriage happens when someone has been pregnant, and then the contents of the womb are expelled via cramps, either spontaneously, as the result of being hurt or unwell, or intentionally via an abortion method. There may be fluid, clots, or tissue, depending on what that stage of pregnancy that person was at and their health. Symptoms that can accompany a miscarriage are like those of period, but usually more intense.

You can read more about periods over at On the Rag: A Guide to Menstruation, and miscarriages over at Miscarriage: What It Is, How It Happens, and How To Deal.

Is that the type of info you were looking for?
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. -Special Agent Dana Katherine Scully
haikyufan123
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: i can touch my nose with my tongue
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: hetero

Re: Miscarriage vs Period

Unread post by haikyufan123 »

Yes! Thank you so much
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic