Venting for advice

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
sky
not a newbie
Pronouns: They/them
Sexual identity: Queer

Venting for advice

Unread post by sky »

Hey everyone, I hope you’re doing well :)

Okay so I’m not exactly sure why I’m writing this and for what reason, I just know this is a safe place with wise people and I just, need to talk about this because maybe you can help. If not, completely understandable! So, I have this coworker who I’m in love with, I’ve talked about her a million times. Work stuff happened and we’re still really close and she’s still my best friend.

She’s older and I understand things are different then they were back then but it’s also like, move forward and learn. Okay so at work today, after she left me and my coworkers were talking and i don’t know how but I mentioned something my friend said and in the quote I mentioned myself as Sage which is the name I choose because it feels very nb to me and very me, even if 2 people call me that, it feels great. So anyways they were like I LOVE THAT NAME that fits you! I was like?? And so now they are calling me sage :)

One of the new guys and I kept talking and he’s super nice and I was like yeah I’m nb and he asked my preferred pronouns and I said right now I’m using they/them and it’s making me very happy and he was like awesome I’ll remember that. After all that and me being all happy I immediately panicked because I know this coworker I love doesn’t understand or support it.

She’s the person who told me I’m not a man and to be the best female I know how to be. That was the response I got when I told her I hang out in my room and dress manly I play a life where I’m a man and I dream of having a packer and stuff. I understand that’s hard to grasp and understand but support could have been offered. I told her it’s so hard for me and I hate this because I’m a woman but I just don’t feel like I am I feel like I’m kinda nothing.

I guess I’m genderfluid but I don’t know anymore with labels. Anyways, I text her and I explained that I’m sorry it came up but they might call me that and she doesn’t have too but that I love her and I need her support etc. With the help of my online friends I realized that I will never have her support. She will never understand. She doesn’t care. I told her yesterday in a breakdown how hard everything is in my personal life and at work and internally.

So, I text her a few hours later and told her I need to stop talking to her because I can’t carry on with putting her first before me that nothing will happen and it’s unhealthy for me to be in love with her when she’s never going to support me or care. I know she loves me back, she tells me she loves me. It’s just so hard because for a year she’s been my rock, the reason I’m holding on and I feel like I’m nothing without her in my life. She’s become a really good friend who just happens to be so beautiful.

I know this is just the bpd talking but fuck, I need her in my life. So, I keep trying to change. I keep trying to be my real name, like men, Not dress androgynous for her, when I dress androgynous and I ask if I look masc she says I don’t at all. When I wear cologne she just ignores it. It all hurts.

All of this hurts. I know It’s healthy to stay away because I’m important and I need to take care of myself and love myself and accept myself but if the one person who I need to accept the doesn’t then why even bother? You get me? This all is horrible and I’m nervous I’m gonna get into trouble for using so many names lol. I’m nervous people are gonna find out I’m under the huge trans umbrella, I’m not ashamed of it but I’m still figuring it out. If I could have one re do on my life it would be to stay inside the closet with my gender and my sexuality.

I just, needed to get it off my chest in a safe environment.

Sending all of you the best vibes, all the time <3
Amanda F
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to go rock climbing outside!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Venting for advice

Unread post by Amanda F »

Hi sky,

I'm sorry this person wasn't accepting of you. I know she's been really important to you in the past, and you still have a lot of feelings for her - but this is a person who is refusing to acknowledge your identity. Is that really someone you need in your life?

I'd say you need people who will listen to you, support you, and accept you. Who won't make you feel like you have to dress or be a certain way for them. It sounds like you know this too.

This isn't the one person that you need to accept you. You deserve to be accepted by everyone. And you said it felt great when other people accepted you, so it doesn't seem to boil down to this one person. If it DID, that one person should be you. How can you work to accept yourself and your identity going forward?
sky
not a newbie
Pronouns: They/them

Unread post by sky »

I’ll admit I’m confused with this exploration and she knows that and I talked to her today and I told her she doesn’t support me and she kinda get upset and I explained what I meant and she just said she’s confused because she doesn’t understand what I want because I don’t understand it either.

She said she doesn’t care who I am and who I date she just wants me to be happy and start loving myself for who I am. So things are okay right now which is great. I’m working on getting used to being me and loving me. It’s hard work, but I’m trying. I’m off dating sites and stuff and I’m just, working on me. Im so freaking lonely I could cry I mean I’ve been crying everyday but I just, want someone and that’s not gonna happen. As I’ve said before, no one wants the ugly and confused person.
Karyn
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I collect condoms.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Karyn »

It's great that you were able to have a conversation with your coworker and feel a bit better about how that relationship is going. And I think choosing to spend time working on accepting yourself for who you are is a really good thing to do. It is hard work, and not something that happens quickly, but it's definitely worthwhile.
"Where there is power, there is resistance." -Michel Foucault
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic