Unexpected Breakthrough bleeding

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
kmm123456
Pronouns: She/her

Unexpected Breakthrough bleeding

Unread post by kmm123456 »

Hi there,
I have been on the combination pill for a little over a year now. This past month I had a big schedule change coming from school back home. Three weeks ago (3/21), I had protected sex with a condom (to our knowledge it didn’t break) and I take my pill everyday at the same time and have never missed a pill. However, from March 29-April 5 I had fairly heavy breakthrough bleeding on my active pills (like a regular period flow). On my first inactive pill, I started to have some breast tenderness and on my second pill (today) I still have breast pain but no withdrawal bleeding. A few times I have had breakthrough bleeding like this with no withdrawal bleed at all and it goes back to normal the next month. But this is the first time I have any type of breast tenderness accompanied with no withdrawal bleed. Is this something I should be concerned about?
Thanks for your help!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Unexpected Breakthrough bleeding

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi kmm123456,

Breast tenderness can be a side effect of the pill, and it sounds like having breakthrough bleeding followed by no withdrawal bleed is something you've experienced a few times before. So, given all that, this doesn't sound like cause for concern.

Too, I just want to check, is this someone you're still being sexual with? Or are you two observing the social distancing guidelines and only having sex with partners you already live with?
kmm123456
Pronouns: She/her

Unread post by kmm123456 »

Thanks for your answer. No, we are practicing social distancing for the time being.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

You're welcome! And thanks for clarifying, we're making a point of checking in with users to see if they're being safe.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic