Social construct?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
sky
not a newbie
Pronouns: They/them
Sexual identity: Queer

Social construct?

Unread post by sky »

Okay this might be a silly question but is virginity a social construct? I did some research and they all say nothing about you changes but I always was under the assumption it did change you somehow? But at the same time nothing happens right?
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They

Re: Social construct?

Unread post by Jacob »

Pretty much yes!

The term 'social construct' does get thrown around a lot; strictly speaking, all the language, words and status we give to all things in society are social constructs. However, I feel like concept of virginity goes much further than that, and is a particularly dishonest and harmful construct.

Our genitals, just like other parts of the body, can change over time depending on what you do with them, be that vaginal stimulation or different types of exercise, but there is no universally measurable "before" and "after" of sexual intercourse, and yet the 'idea' of such a difference is used to surpress and control so many people with vulvas. It's quite an injustice!

We have a bunch of pieces on the topic because it always comes up and it seems popular culture won't get the memo.

Can a Gynecologist Tell if I'm a Virgin?

Impurity Culture: Surviving Virginity

Magical Cups & Bloody Brides: Virginity in Context

My Corona: The Anatomy Formerly Known as the Hymen & the Myths That Surround It

You Can't Test For Virginity

20 Questions About Virginity: Scarleteen Interviews Hanne Blank
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
sky
not a newbie
Pronouns: They/them
Sexual identity: Queer

Unread post by sky »

I thought so!! A couple years ago I had to get a vaginal ultrasound and it hurt a lot and it made me bleed more then I was before and someone I told about the situation proceeded to laugh at me and said my cherry got popped I was and still am like?????? That’s not even a real thing. Idk it just kinda pissed me off
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

It makes sense that pissed you off, since it was someone being really rude about a very uncomfortable procedure! Concepts like "popping your cherry" and other misconceptions about the hymen or virginity are sadly still really widespread, because there are still a lot of cultural messages coming in from different places that reinforce those myths.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic