Is it possible for the withdrawal bleed to be late even when on birth control?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Juliaho90
not a newbie
Pronouns: She

Is it possible for the withdrawal bleed to be late even when on birth control?

Unread post by Juliaho90 »

Hi,
I have been on birth control for the past 4 months and my withdrawal bleed always happen on the 4th day after the last pill. So my last pill is always on Friday and the bleed will start on Tuesday.

I wonder if it is possible at all for the bleed to be late even though I am on birth control pills? I have religiously taken the pill everyday, on some days I was late for an hour or two, but I still took it everyday. It is supposed to arrive tonight/tomorrow, but I am kinda worried it doesn’t? I know it is supposed to be regulated and arrive on the same day each time, but is it possible for it to come late?

I have experienced some cramps last week, which is normal before my bleed arrives. I have been sexually active, no penetrative intercourse, just normal humping (one partner with pants on) and there was a time with brief genital contact (just a touch and I moved away), but no ejaculation near or on the vagina. So... I’m kinda worried even though my bleed isn’t supposed to come until tomorrow.

Usually I would see brown stains or discharge, but it hasn’t appeared now and bleed is schedule to happen tomorrow.... so I am wondering if it’s possible for the bleed to come late even though I am on birth control?
Juliaho90
not a newbie

Re: Is it possible for the withdrawal bleed to be late even when on birth control?

I wanted to add that the intimacy happened over the weekend, so 2 to 3 days after my last pill during the placebo week. Not sure if that changes the situation because I think I would still be covered during the placebo week even if I am not taking any pills right?
Amanda F
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to go rock climbing outside!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: Is it possible for the withdrawal bleed to be late even when on birth control?

Unread post by Amanda F »

Hi Juliaho90,

We don't have the capacity to answer pregnancy anxiety questions - more about that policy here: Pregnancy Fear and Anxiety Policy

The Pregnancy Panic Companion can help you determine whether or not you're likely to be at risk of pregnancy. From what you've told me, you aren't. You can't become pregnant just from brief genital contact with no ejaculation.

It sounds like despite all of your precautions (taking the pill correctly, not having penetrative sex, no ejaculation, and you're still on schedule for your withdrawal bleed) you're still experiencing some anxiety about becoming pregnant. Do you want to talk a bit more about why you're experiencing that anxiety? Are you feeling comfortable with the extent of sexual activity you're engaging with right now?

Also, just want to check in with you about how you're doing generally given the pandemic. Does your intimate partner live with you?
Juliaho90
not a newbie

Hello. Thank you for the reply.

My concern was more of if the withdrawal bleed could be late even though it is supposed to be regulated with the birth control pill? It has been for the past 4 months, coming in the 4th day after my last pill. So I was just wondering because I haven’t seen any brown discharge yet, but it should be happening...

We don’t live together and have never practised penetrative vaginal intercourse. So I know the odds of pregnancy aren’t high.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Juliaho,

As we've covered before, your body and cycle can experience a little variation, even when on the pill. So, I think it might be helpful to use the next little while (since the recommendation is that people not be sexual with partners they don't live with until the pandemic has passed), to focus on that underlying anxiety that is causing you to still feel so nervous, even when you're using a method that you know is effective. That can help you figure out what steps make the most sense in terms of addressing that anxiety.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic