Birth control pill fell out of packaging

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Juliaho90
not a newbie
Pronouns: She

Birth control pill fell out of packaging

Unread post by Juliaho90 »

Hi guys,
I am on yasmin, my birth control pill. I realised one of the pill fell out of the packaging and it ended up in the zipped component/pocket of my bag. Putting aside hygiene, can I ask if the pill would still be effective if I take it? Can it still prevent ovulation and do what’s it supposed to do? Can I still take that pill that fell out of the packaging? The pill still looks untouched and has been kept at room temperature. Just because I don’t want to waste it and open a new packet for that one pill. Let me know! Thanks
Alexa
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: i make the world's best pancakes!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her/ella
Sexual identity: queer, pansexual

Re: Birth control pill fell out of packaging

Unread post by Alexa »

Hey there Juliaho90,

It's definitely still okay/safe to take your pill! Unless it's disintegrated in any way, it should work the same as always. As with all birth control pills, just make sure to take the pills in the correct order (indicated by the color of the pill).

Do you have a birth control case or sleeve? If you do, that can also help keep your pills safe. :)
Alexa K.
Scarleteen Team
Juliaho90
not a newbie

Also, I took my yasmin pill 1 hour late today, is that still ok? Am I still protected or do I need a back up Method?
Juliaho90
not a newbie

Also, what if I forgot and accidentally took 2 yasmin pills in a day. Is that safe and effective still or will I need a back up plan?
Johanna
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Johanna »

Hi Juliaho90,

while the pill should be taken around the same time each day to be effective, it does not have to be taken at the exact same time on the dot. You have a few hours buffer each way. So being off by one hour is totally fine!

Forgetting that you already took your pill and taking an extra one also won't decrease your protection, but you'll be a pill short at the end of the pack and thus move your next pack up by a day, too.
"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic