My nipples have been sore, but I'm on the pill

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
spottedears
Awesomeness Quotient: Me
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Straight female

My nipples have been sore, but I'm on the pill

Unread post by spottedears »

Hello staff,

As the title states, my nipples have been sore for the last four days. Even though I've been on the pill and I've neverissed one, I've taken two pregnancy tests and both were negative. Part of my anxiety keeps wondering if it didn't read positive because I took the test too soon, but I know that's ridiculous as I've been taking my pills at the same time every day so my chances are extremely low. So why could my nipples be sore?

I've been taking this pill for over two years now, and because of this method of birth control I do not get periods. I am wondering if my hormone levels still change, even when taking the pill and getting no periods? Or if my level would be constant. Because I know sore nipples could just be hormone changes. But from my understanding I think taking the pill would cause my hormones to be at steady levels since I don't cycle and have periods.

As well, sore nipples could be a side effect, but if I've been taking these pills for over two years could I still get a side effect I've never experienced before?

Thanks for your help
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: My nipples have been sore, but I'm on the pill

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi spottedears,

It's possible that this is a side effect of the pill, as sometimes side effects can appear even when you've been on a medication awhile. Too, sometimes even things like caffeine or alcohol can cause some breast tenderness. I will say that if you notice this getting worse or not going away after a few days, you may want to check in with a healthcare provider just to be sure there isn't an underlying cause that needs addressing.

I do want to check, since you mention not getting periods anymore: are you taking the pills without the placebo week, or is it more that your period has basically stopped, even when you're on the placebo pills?
spottedears
Awesomeness Quotient: Me
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She
Sexual identity: Straight female

Unread post by spottedears »

Hi, thanks for your response!! I am on Lolo, which is 24 days of estrogen+progestin pills with 2 days of estrogen only and then 2 days placebo.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

You're welcome! And yep, looking at the information on that brand, breast tenderness is a common side effect.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic