Plan B + birth control pill

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
mwmillennial
Pronouns: She/her

Plan B + birth control pill

Unread post by mwmillennial »

Hello Scarleteen,

I apologize in advance for breaking any message board rules but I have a quick question about starting back up on the birth control pill after taking Plan B that I wasn’t able to find on here.

My boyfriend and I had sex with a condom Tuesday night, followed by some unprotected genital rubbing after he finished. I decided to take Plan B within the 24 hour window. I have a period tracking app but I am self aware enough to know that those are never 100% accurate, and I shouldn’t base anything off of it. According to this app, I was “ovulating” with a “chance of getting pregnant” when the unprotected stuff happened. I’ve read from several sources that if ovulation has already happened, Plan B becomes ineffective. I am taking all of that information with a grain of salt and choosing to be as realistic as possible. I called my OB and had a prescription for birth control pills filled right away.

My question is: can I start my birth control pack now? Or should I wait until my period shows up (or doesn’t show up, which is of course a possibility) to take it?
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Re: Plan B + birth control pill

Unread post by Mo »

I think we got this all sorted for you in chat! :) If you have followup questions, feel free to let us know.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic