How to prevent infection?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Hidden
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They/them or xe/xem
Sexual identity: Aroace

How to prevent infection?

Unread post by Hidden »

This is really embarassing but I've been itching a lot and when I checked, realised that one part of the area betwen inner and outer labia is really red and itchy, and there's some blood. It's a tiny amount of blood so I'm not really worried about that, what I AM worried about is what to do now?? I can't exactly put a plaster there? I don't even see a visible cut but I'm really worried since it's bleeding and it's in a private area that it will get infected which is kind of a terrifying thought. I'm assuming I should wash the area, preferably change underwear I guess and DON'T scratch it, if there's blood cos I might end up worsening a wound or something...But? What do I do???
Is there anything else I should do?
Is there anything I can do to prevent infection or stop/slow the small amount of bleeding?
I'm most likely overreacting but I'm really scared
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: They

Re: How to prevent infection?

Unread post by Jacob »

Hi Hidden, I would think of this as similar to getting a small cut on your mouth. You wouldn't really use a plaster there, but you would do what you can to keep it clean, and it'd heal. This is a similar situation.

There also might be some creams you can get hold of in a chemist/pharmacy to reduce itching? It might be worth investigating the itching further by making a doctor's appointment if it is persisting. Would that be something you could do?
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Hidden
Pronouns: They/them or xe/xem
Sexual identity: Aroace

Re: How to prevent infection?

Unread post by Hidden »

Oh, okay. That makes sense in hindsight. Thank you!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic