Does plan b affect your second peroid?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Baby2you1
not a newbie
Pronouns: She/her

Does plan b affect your second peroid?

Unread post by Baby2you1 »

So a little background, I have never been in birth control. Me and my boyfriend just use condoms. After one night a mistake happened and I took plan b 3 days after. I got my period of that month in time. We had sex again between the time it finished, but now the second one is 5 days late now. I took a pregnancy test after 1 day (first response) and it was negative. I took another after 3 days and it was also negative. This was also about 2 weeks after we had sex.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Does plan b affect your second peroid?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Baby2you1,

Yes, plan b can cause your cycle to become irregular for a bit, so that may be what's happening here. Too, periods can be late for many reasons, and you can read about those here: M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?. And, as long as you took the pregnancy tests according to the directions about when and how to test, you can assume the results are accurate.

Are you feeling comfortable relying on condoms as your sole birth control, or are you starting to feel like you want to explore adding another method?
Baby2you1
not a newbie

So plan b can affect a peroid for months and months? I get cramps, but still nothing.

We are fine using condoms. My bf can last a really long time so most of the time he doesn't cum because of how long he can last. Other times he usually finishes with a blow job. So condoms are fine as he isn't finishing in me that often
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Months and months, probably not, no. 1-3 months, yes. But you're not asking about months and months, if I understand you. As I understand it, this one period right now is a little later than expected.

It might help to know that it's very common for menstrual cycles to shift and change over a lifetime. How many days a cycle usually is can go on in a similar way for years, then change to be longer or shorter: regular cycles can become irregular. You can also skip periods entirely sometimes. All of those things happen for people without ever using Plan B, and it may also be that's also the case for you: that you're also just having a change with your cycle totally unrelated to Plan B.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Baby2you1
not a newbie

Its 6 days late so far and i have no regular peroid symptoms. Its just worrying.
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

It can certainly be disconcerting when your body does something you're not expecting it to. But, at this point, you've done what you can in terms of eliminating possible causes (like taking pregnancy tests), so now it's just a matter of keeping calm and occupied while you wait to see when your period arrives. Do you have things you can do to distract yourself from your period not arriving when you expected it to?
Baby2you1
not a newbie

I have a job and i go to the gym. I was just gonna focus on that. But every morning is just full of anxiety. Plus reading stuff on the internet isn't helpful. I just keep worrying about it. I sometimea get cramps and get hopeful. Going to the doctor is useless because they don't listen and just give a talk about BC which im not interested in. I just think its because of plan b thats affecting my 2ed period because of how high the dose is.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

I'm not sure what you're reading online, but if you've been looking at something like collections of people's stories of when birth control didn't work for them, you'll probably feel a lot better if you step back from those! It's really common for people to seek out that sort of content when they're worried about pregnancy, but it tends to just make those anxieties stronger.
Baby2you1
not a newbie

Its been 15 days since me and my bf had sex and 7 days since the expected date of my peroid (7 days late). I took a pregnancy test today, negative. I got light brown discharge yesterday and today, but not a lot. Small amount and some light cramps. And of course the internet doesn't help because it says im pregnant. Usually when my peroid starts, it starts of with light brown discharge and then with a regular flow....but its still not here. I'm hoping for tmr or the day after. But we will see. Its just worrying. I was thinking of doing another pregnancy test at the end of the month.
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

Given what you've said about the internet not helping, I'm going to second Mo in suggesting that you take at least a 24 hour break from reading anything related to pregnancy or missing periods. While it can be tempting to just keep Googling, that kind of reassurance seeking usually makes anxiety worse (which is part of why our Pregnancy Fear and Anxiety Policy is the way it is). After you take that break, you may want to give this article a read if you're still feeling anxious: The Pregnancy Panic Companion
Baby2you1
not a newbie

In all honesty as you send me this i was online reading about ectopic pregnancy and worrying i may have one.

I have more brown discharge again...so hopefully my peroid will come soon.
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

How about taking that break from looking up information or stories online that Sam suggested? I think that's one of the best things you can do for yourself right now.
Baby2you1
not a newbie

So i got my peroid today, at least i think it is. I hope. Its been so long that im not sure what is normal anymore.
Baby2you1
not a newbie

It's bright red with no clots....its the first day tho so im not sure what is normal anymore
Jacob
Pronouns: They

Unread post by Jacob »

Sounds like a period to me Baby2you1!
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic