2 periods?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
omnomnonny
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: i work hard
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: straight

2 periods?

Unread post by omnomnonny »

If you’re cycle is normally regular, is it something to worry about if you have 2 periods in one month?

Okay, I’m not sure if it’s actually another period but it’s roughly ovulation time for me and I woke up with some brown spotting and when I went to wash there was some fresh, red blood.

Should I check with a doctor or is it just some random thing that just happens with periods?
omnomnonny
not a newbie

Re: 2 periods?

Update: it kinda feels like my period but a slightly lighter version of it. I get that “flow” feeling when I stand up after sitting down for a while.

It’s only been a little more than a week since my period ended last and my cycles are normally 32 days long.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Sometimes that happens. Sometimes it also happens that people have some spotting with ovulation.

Are you up-to-date with your basic sexual healthcare? With your bimanual exams, STI tests and pap smears?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
omnomnonny
not a newbie

I haven’t visited any obgyns yet so I haven’t done any testing so far.

The bleeding is a lot heavier now, much more like my period. I read that sometimes shorter cycles can just happen randomly and then it becomes normal again afterwards. I asked some of my friends too and they’ve said that sometimes they’ve had two periods in one month.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Yep, like I said, it can happen now and again.

Regardless of this, I hope you can get current with any needed sexual healthcare: it's just really important, especially if you've been or are being sexual with partners. If you'd like help figuring out how to access it, we're glad to help.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
omnomnonny
not a newbie

Sure! I’d like to ask, can I just go to any obgyn to get a check up? Like what if for one check up I go to this person and then another check up I go to a different one?

I ask this because I want to visit one by myself just to make sure I’m okay and then eventually switch to the same one my mom goes to.
Jacob
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They

Unread post by Jacob »

You should be able to change your provider when you need to, but their policies about what they do are something you might have to ask from the specific clinic. They should be able to tell you what appointments are available and how long you need to commit for over the phone and what costs could be involved.
"In between two tall mountains there's a place they call lonesome.
Don't see why they call it lonesome.
I'm never lonesome when I go there." Connie Converse - Talkin' Like You
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic