Toxic Shock Syndrome

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
potatochipeater
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: listening
Primary language: english
Pronouns: him/he
Sexual identity: n/a

Toxic Shock Syndrome

Unread post by potatochipeater »

I was hoping you could explain further what Toxic Shock Syndrome is, how you get it and the link to tampons and in some cases death. I always thought it had to do with tampons made in '70s or '80s of a fabric that could cause this if menstrual product not used correctly. Why am I asking? There was an NBC article recently about a Canadian girl on an overnight school trip. She was healthy in every way but wound up being found dead the next day by classmates. She had complained of cramps and flu like symptoms. When the coroner reached a conclusion they linked it to her not using tampons correctly and leaving them in too long when they ran tests. I know it's rare but how does this occur and do today's women and teens need worry? Just thought I would ask because I don't understand it.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Toxic Shock Syndrome

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi potatochipeater,

So, it is less common than it use to be due to manufacturers no longer using the designs or materials that were most associated with it, which may be why you thought it had to do with tampons made in the 70's and 80's. TSS occurs when a tampon is left in for too long and certain types of bacteria start to grow on them. If someone prefers to use tampons during their period, there are a few recommendations to help avoid TSS: make sure you only use tampons during the day (use a pad at night), change them often and buy 100% cotton tampons, without bleaches, when possible. Does that help clarify things?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic