Becoming a Sex Educator??

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
OhHeckDatGurl
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make GoodWill clothes look sexy.
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Straight

Becoming a Sex Educator??

Unread post by OhHeckDatGurl »

First of all, I would like to give a big THANK YOU from the very bottom of my heart to every single person that helps runs this site and works, no matter how small, to provide inclusive and accurate sex education to everyone. There are so few places like this, but there mere fact that there is gives me hope for the future. Without this website, I think I'd be making bad decisions for myself and dragging my current partner in with me, but instead I have found an empowering sexuality through knowledge, much of which has been gained here. So thank you.

That being said, I'm writing this because I want to be a sex educator.

I'm trying to read as much as I can about sexuality from as many books and websites as possible. I hosted a feminist radio show on my campus, help volunteer with the local Rape Crisis Center with events, and recently became a member of Bedsider. I am an English major living in South Carolina.

Right now, I'm looking for opportunities to teach sex education where I live. I recently called my YMCA and am waiting for a call back, and there are a few adult shops I could contact to set up a class, but I am unsure if they would allow me. I would also like to start an informal, perhaps unofficial, to teach as well. I suppose I'm wondering if I have enough credentials to teach, or even if I seem if I'm "old enough" to do so. Could I go and teach after-school at my local middle or high school as an individual, without the backing of a non-profit? My closest Planned Parenthood is three hours away--can they even help me? Would owning a website help? Should I start carrying business cards with me, even?

I know that there is a severe lack of quality, empowering sex education in this world, especially in my state, and a lack of opportunities to teach it. I suppose this post could be summed up in: Where should I start, and how do I gain the credential to do so? Thank you so, so much!
Siân
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I ask ALLLLL the questions
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Figuring it out

Re: Becoming a Sex Educator??

Unread post by Siân »

Hi OhHeckDatGurl :)

I'm so happy that this site helped you! And it's awesome that you have found something that you're passionate about and want to pursue.

I'm going to leave a note for some of our super-experienced US-based folks to give you some more specific info, but here are some pointers from Sam in an advice column: I Want To Be a Sex Educator. Er, How do I do That?.

Getting involved in existing programmes is a great way to start, especially if they provide a training or support. Sounds like you're already doing all sorts, but if you're wanting to teach specifically then does your school have a peer sex education programme for example? If not, do you think that you might be able to gather like minded students to set such a thing up?

Some organisations (like us!) also have opportunities online for people without in-person opportunities.

I'm going to leave you this, as it has notes on what to look out for when researching organisations that do sex ed: Legit or Unfit? Finding Safe, Sound Sex Educators & Support Online
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Hey there!

I'm happy to answer any more specific questions you might have, and also to help you get connected with local folks if I can help. Which shops were you looking at, for instance?

As well, I'd suggest you look into any local help specifically for women and small business: there's often some good help and support (sometimes including micro-loans) in starting any kind of business that can be found through those channels.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
OhHeckDatGurl
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I make GoodWill clothes look sexy.
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Straight

Unread post by OhHeckDatGurl »

Dear all,

Currently, the only slightly relevant non-profits in my area look to be the YMCA, United Way, the Chapin Foundation, a Literacy Council, a Family Learning Center Unit, a Community Foundation, Family Outreach, and Help 4 Kids. I do intend to call each of these to see if I can teach, as well as sex shops: Adam & Eve, Badd Kitty and Priscilla McCall's seem to be the main ones, although none of them seem particularly focused on feminist or LGBT inclusivity. Are there any resources I'm missing?

In my area, I see a particularly disheartening gap in sex education for a place so large. I do intend to start a group at my campus next fall, although I'm not sure I'd have the blessing of other groups, and I'm not sure how many like-minded people would be willing to help.

Mainly, I am worried if I will have the credentials to be a trustworthy teacher, although I'm not sure where else in my area I should be looking to find them. I am an English major, which I love and believe has helped me to be self-taught in sexuality as well as be more empathetic with others, but it's not as well received as a Public Health major or a Psychology major.

Should I go ahead, buy a domain name, write a few articles, create a few business cards, and then be teaching? Or can I do this the other way around? Also, would I be legally allowed to go in after schools and teach inclusive sex education, since I wouldn't be a fully-fledged "teacher" and it would be considered an after-school program? Would they let an individual do that? Or should I stick to non-profits for now?

Thank you!
Alice O
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm really good at taking naps.
Primary language: Engish
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: hetero

Unread post by Alice O »

I will pipe in to say that when I wanted to become a sex educator I was in a similar boat as you--I was reading a bunch, I was passionate, but I felt I didn't have enough experience to be a teacher and knew I had a lot to learn. (To be clear, I still have a ton to learn and experience to gain, but I have come a far way.) What I did was: apply to volunteer with Scarleteen! After being involved with Scarleteen for around 6 months I started observing a health teacher at a local school, and after being involved with Scarleteen for a year I started doing a bit of classroom health teaching. It has been the most amazing learning and growth opportunity for me.

If you have ~8 hours a week to commit to this work than you could check the volunteer application that Sian linked above. Aside from a few staff members, we are volunteer-run!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I, too, was an English major (sociology minor). There are SO many tracks to come into sex ed with, honestly, with no one of them the "right" one, unless you want a match in order to specialize. For instance, someone who wants to work in clinical settings might well do better on a public health track.

Cosigning what Alice said: we are always looking for dedicated volunteers, and this really can be a great place to learn some of the skills you worry you might not have yet, or might have, but just could use a safe place to take for a spin. :) If you're interesting in being considered as a volunteer here, here's where we keep the application: http://www.scarleteen.com/scarleteen_vo ... pplication

Before you make any big investments, I would simply find just one place you can try this on as a gig, or even just observe someone else whose gig it is to get some mentorship. This is a very, very hard field to get paid in, especially when you're new, so you'll want to watch how much money or time you're investing from the front in things -- like a website when you don't yet have any experience or clips to put on it, so it likely won't result in anything -- that probably aren't going to be useful to you just yet.

You probably won't be getting into any schools to teach sex ed just not in large part because so any schools don't even do sex ed, keep it in-house with teachers already on staff (which is one way to do this as a job, btw -- to be in a school teaching something else but also teach sex ed there), or hire out through a pre-existing organization. Plus, that is a LOT of red tape to have to work with and understand when you don't have any experience.

I don't suppose you have a YWCA (not just a YM) near you? If so, they might be a good place to start, though you will probably have to volunteer your time. Truthfully, getting paid to do this without having yet had any experience is unlikely anywhere, so you're probably going to have to volunteer somewhere to get practice, no matter what. It's just an unfortunate part of this field, alas. If there isn't a YW, why not ask at that YM? Both organizations have a history of being supportive of sex education.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic