Birth control for a week

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Lkm123
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her

Birth control for a week

Unread post by Lkm123 »

Hey! I started a new pack of birth control pills on 12/31. Me and my boyfriend had unprotected sex on 1/7. He pulled out. I did not take plan b because I didn't start to worry about possibly being pregnant until today (1/10). I have been cramping for about 5-6 days. My OBGYN instructs me to skip over the white pills that I'm supposed to take during my period week and continue to take the colored pills. I usually cramp when I'm supposed to be on my period while taking the colored birth control, but I don't know if I'm supposed to be on my period because I can't remember when my last period was. I read online that cramping can be because an egg is being attached to a wall or it might be a side effect from birth control. I'm extremely worried that I might be pregnant but it's too early to take a test! What do you think?
BeckyH1814
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm a pretty fast reader
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Pansexual

Re: Birth control for a week

Unread post by BeckyH1814 »

Hi Lkm123, I'm Becky,

First of all, I wouldn't try to self-diagnose online. It can be really tempting to start searching your symptoms, but I don't think this is helpful. You could be cramping for a number of different reasons, as you yourself have said.

The best advice I can give you is to relax a little. If you are pregnant, then you can have a chat about your options with your doctor. If you're not pregnant, there's no sense in worrying. In fact, excessive worrying can increase hormones in your body - and this all by itself can affect your period.

I'd take a pregnancy test as soon as you can, but until then I'd try to distract yourself a little. Read a book, play a video game, do something that takes your mind off it. There's nothing more you can do at the moment.

Peace and love,
Becky :)
Danny S.
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm a dog parent :)
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Birth control for a week

Unread post by Danny S. »

We will not answer ANY questions about pregnancy fear or anxiety in our direct services from users who are not pregnant or who are not or have not otherwise been directly involved with an actual pregnancy.

Please do not post this kind of question. If you are seeing this text, and your thread is locked, it is because you have posted this kind of question.

We CAN and WILL talk about things like:
• choosing and using a method or methods of contraception for any future sexual activity
• creating your own sexual limits and boundaries based on your needs and/or presenting them to any partners
• making sexual choices that suit your own needs, abilities and limitations, including your own readiness for certain possible risks
• help locating or using emergency contraception if and when you have had a pregnancy risk
• discussing options with a real, existing pregnancy, and help finding and accessing those options, such as abortion services and pre-natal care, or discussing feelings or concerns about a past pregnancy
• help with anxiety like locating mental health services, sound self-help or asking for support from friends or family

You mentioned emergency contraception and pregnancy tests. We've made a new thread to talk about that with you here: http://www.scarleteen.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5387

For help dealing with a scare (including what poses a risk and your next steps based on your unique situation), you may use our tool on site built for this purpose: The Pregnancy Panic Companion.
For help with anxiety, click here.
For related help and information at Scarleteen, click here.
If you would like more information about this policy, click here.
Locked Previous topicNext topic