Travel and Period Irregularity?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
repsev
not a newbie

Travel and Period Irregularity?

Unread post by repsev »

So a couple of days after my last period, I traveled across time zones and 3 weeks later I traveled back across time zones to get home. I was supposed to have my period last week (it's been about 37 days since my last period), and throughout this week I have had cramps similar to the ones that I usually get right before my period; yet no period. I have had sex since my last period, but we used condoms so I don't think I should be too worried about that. I was wondering if traveling long distances can mess with your biological clock or ovulation times? Could it be the stress of traveling or the major difference in time zones?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Travel and Period Irregularity?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi repsev,

Periods can vary in their arrival times for many reasons, although travel alone is unlikely to cause the irregularity. You can read about some of the most common reasons in the link below, but it can also help to remember that our bodies are not perfect machines, so you're cycle can be irregular every now and then for no obvious reason.
M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?
repsev
not a newbie

Unread post by repsev »

Would the cramps signify that it is on its way? I've been getting cramps for about a week now, on and off, both mild and extreme
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi repsev,

There's no way for us to know for certain what the cause of the cramps might be. But, if you think you're due for a period, then that's definitely one possibility. However, if the cramps continue without seeming to link to a period or get significantly worse, you might want to check in with a healthcare provider just to make sure there is not something else going on.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic