Condoms .. yay!

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
monochromepengu
Pronouns: she/her

Condoms .. yay!

Unread post by monochromepengu »

My boyfriend and I have always used condoms while having penetrative sex. We are both fairly new to having sex. When we put on the condom, we have a hard time rolling it all the way down to the base. There ends up being a bit of space (maybe like .5 inch/1inch?) between where the condom ends and the actual base of the penis. I asked my friend about this & she & her boyfriend have the same experience. I guess my question is: is this normal? How much space should there be? It is far enough down that I don't believe it is an issue, it doesn't cause pain or anything. But i want to ensure we are using them correctly.
Nicole
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: EN, ES, RU, UA
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: Condoms .. yay!

Unread post by Nicole »

Hi monochromepengu,

The rim of the condom should be as close to the base of the penis as possible; although, what you and your friend are experiencing is not unusual at all. With the measurements you gave me, it doesn't seem like there is a problem. Have you experienced the condom slipping off during sex? If so, then you might be putting on the condom inside out or it might not be the right size. Also, if your partner is uncircumcised, it's common for the condom to not go as far down to the base as it does with a circumcised penis.

Here are two resources of ours that explain proper condom use: Condom Basics: A User's Manual and All the Barriers! All the Time! That way you can double-check to make sure you're doing everything right! Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic