scared of getting an infection

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
sparklingstar
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: The fact that I won't give up something I love
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/they

scared of getting an infection

Unread post by sparklingstar »

So I've been exploring my body a bit more and have been trying to touch around my vagina area to see how I feel, but I'm a bit scared that I'll get an infection.

Before I touch myself, I washed my hands multiple times and didn't stick my finger into myself because I feel like I'm not ready for that yet. So I basically just touched around my clit and vulva.

I'm wondering that is this okay? I think I'm just overthinking right now, but I also don't really know how to do this and am kinda scared about this whole thing.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: scared of getting an infection

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi sparklingstar,

Since you're washing your hands, you're doing possibly the biggest thing you can when preventing infection from masturbation. Making sure your hands are clean is a really good way of keeping bacteria from getting on the vulva or in the vaginal canal.

Is there a particular reason you're scared about potentially getting an infection from masturbating?
sparklingstar
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: The fact that I won't give up something I love
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/they

Unread post by sparklingstar »

hi Sam,

I don't think I have a specific reason to be scared of getting an infection, it's just that I read about people getting one when they didn't properly clean their hands. It could also just be caused by my anxiousness over this whole thing, I'm prone to being an overthinker haha.

Anyways, thanks for the reassuring words. I really appreciate them!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

You're welcome!

I do want to add that, when people do get infections from something that hasn't been properly clean touching their genitals, those tend to be things like UTIs or yeast infections which, while they're no fun, are pretty easy to treat.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic