How can I relax/retrain my pelvic muscles?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
A.Fiend1983
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My stupid extensive knowledge of video games
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: I don't know. Mostly straight

How can I relax/retrain my pelvic muscles?

Unread post by A.Fiend1983 »

Hi guys! Been awhile. Went from not being able to insert a tampon to questioning if I was into girls (update, I just really like long haired rocker men with guitars)! Nowadays, however, as I've become much more in tune with my inner workings, I definitely wanted to learn more as to why I couldn't insert anything very far into my vagina (tampons, my own fingers when im aroused, ect). So, after going to the proper doctor, I was told there was nothing anatomically wrong with my vagina (whew!), but it definitely started hurting when the doctor attempted to insert their fingers after a swab test (the swab was a little uncomfortable, but it wasn't as painful, obviously I wanted to do this and I was not uncomfortable with the procedure, but the doctor didn't make it past my hymen with their exam) with and many people seem to have problems with the muscles surrounding the vagina instead. I know it was quite hard for me to relax when I first started my attempts with tampons, but nowadays, after getting more comfortable with my body, and being able to relax a bit better, I still can't insert a tampon. I KNOW I want to figure it out, and I don't have a history of sexual assault or trauma that would prevent me from inserting anything up there. I was wondering if anyone else had trouble relaxing their muscles, and what can I do to retrain my inner workings down there so insertion is less painful?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: How can I relax/retrain my pelvic muscles?

Unread post by Heather »

Hey there. :)

Before anything else, when you saw that OB/GYN, did you ask them these same questions? If so, what did they suggest?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
A.Fiend1983
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: My stupid extensive knowledge of video games
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: I don't know. Mostly straight

Unread post by A.Fiend1983 »

Sighhh, she obviously suggested some kind of physical therapy, which makes sense, but I've been quite busy lately, and before I cram more time for things into my schedule, is there anything I can do for myself right now?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Pelvic floor PT? Does that sound familiar?

My best advice would be to reach out to the PT they referred you to. More times than not, PT is all about showing you how to do things on your own, and much of the work of PT *will* be things you do for yourself. You can let them know you have a lot on your plate and they can take that into account with in-person appointments.

Since I don't know *why* your doctor referred you to PT (as in: for what), I couldn't possibly give you better help than a medical professional who does. Make sense?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic