should i get the hpv vaccine if all i do is masturbate?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
SillyMcGoof_
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: alot of things!! a bit too much to put here lol
Primary language: english
Pronouns: plural they/them or ask
Sexual identity: aroace and queer

should i get the hpv vaccine if all i do is masturbate?

Unread post by SillyMcGoof_ »

hi! please feel free to delete this post if its not allowed. i just feel like this is really the only place i can ask this stuff bc im nervous to talk about this sort of stuff to my mom and i wont have another doctors appointment for quite some time.

so as said in previous posts, i am on the ace spectrum and i have no interest in partnered sex (atleast at this time). my mom has been hesitant in terms of the hpv vaccine because of the side effects people have had i believe, and also because she doesn’t deem it totally necessary (although she’ll let me get it if i want to get it)

so, with all this in mind, do you think that this vaccine be beneficial to me? i would like to add that my mom is in no way anti vax, she is just iffy about this vaccine in particular. im just a bit concerned bc i’ve heard that people have gotten pretty bad effects from it later on in life so im not super sure, but if the benifits outweigh the risks then i’ll get it when i can.
Latha
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: should i get the hpv vaccine if all i do is masturbate?

Unread post by Latha »

Oh, these questions are exactly what we’re here for!

I’m going to recommend that you get the vaccine if you can. I’m not sure about the side effects that you’ve mentioned, because there is some misinformation out there, and to the best of my knowledge, the HPV vaccine has been demonstrated to be very safe and effective. However, the costs of not getting it are quite high, given that it prevents cancer for you, and for any potential sexual partners that you might have. (It’s fine if you never do though.)

Check out these articles we have about the HPV and the vaccine if you’d like to learn a bit more- you could share them with your mom as well, to alleviate her concerns.
The STI Files: Human Papillomavirus (HPV)
The HPV Vaccine FAQ
Mythbusting The HPV Vaccine

Or you could look at this HPV fact sheet from the CDC
SillyMcGoof_
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: alot of things!! a bit too much to put here lol
Primary language: english
Pronouns: plural they/them or ask
Sexual identity: aroace and queer

Re: should i get the hpv vaccine if all i do is masturbate?

Unread post by SillyMcGoof_ »

ok thank you so much!! this helps alot!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic