(Male) How safe is oral sex?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
staplesj_
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm left handed: )
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him
Sexual identity: straight

(Male) How safe is oral sex?

Unread post by staplesj_ »

Hey just out of curiosity, when it comes to oral sex since I am a penis owner. Should I use a condom for oral sex? Just that fact that someone is going down on me.

Also what are the best ways to eat a girl out? Are there any good techniques?

Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: (Male) How safe is oral sex?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi staplesj_ ,

Since oral sex as a whole category does come with STI risks, you'll want to use either a condom or a dental dam for it, depending on the genitals involved. You can read all about those here: All the Barriers! All the Time!.

When it comes to performing oral sex, the best thing you can do is create a dynamic where you and your partner are really communicative; that way you know what they do, and don't, enjoy. You can also find some more general ideas about how to approach oral sex here: Mouthing Off on Oral Sex
staplesj_
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm left handed: )
Primary language: English
Pronouns: he/him
Sexual identity: straight

Unread post by staplesj_ »

Would using a condom for oral sex make it feel less pleasureable? Or should I try something like bareskin condoms?
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Using condoms feels different than not using condoms, and the idea we can put that on a more/less continuum of pleasure just doesn't really square with the diversity of our experiences. There certainly are some things that can make it so that it feels less pleasureable for most -- like not using lubricant inside the condom, or using condoms that don't fit right or feel best in a given situation, or having it in your head that condoms limit pleasure -- but that's about it.

It might help to know that people don't often feel it when a condom slides off, so by that token alone, we know plenty of people don't find condoms to be something that makes a huge difference in what they're feeling.

That all said, latex doesn't conduct body heat as well as polyurethane condoms, so those can be a good choice for someone who wants as much sensation as possible.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic