What are your opinions on sexual jokes?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Sage
Awesomeness Quotient: I am able to play the piano by ear
Primary language: English
Pronouns: They/them
Sexual identity: Gynosexual

What are your opinions on sexual jokes?

Unread post by Sage »

I have heard from my sex-ed teacher that sexual jokes contribute to unhealthy relationships. That’s what she thinks about sexual jokes. What do you think about them?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: What are your opinions on sexual jokes?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Sage,

That's one of those things where what I, or that sex ed teacher, think about them matters way less than the comfort an individual person feels about them; one relationship may have partners who like to joke about sex, another may have people who are really uncomfortable with those kind of jokes.

I don't really agree with the statement that sexual jokes are a red flag because humor, even sexual humor, is such a broad category that the statement tells me very little about the actual behaviors going on in a relationship. If someone is making sexual jokes at the expense of their partner, that's not a great sign. Neither is someone making sexual jokes when a partner has told them it makes them uncomfortable. But that's very different from, say, someone who occasionally make's sex-based puns or people who find joking with each other during sex fun.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic