Am I demisexual?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
sparklingstar
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: The fact that I won't give up something I love
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/they

Am I demisexual?

Unread post by sparklingstar »

So I recently started thinking I may be demisexual since I have only had 1 actual crush in my whole life, I've known them for 8 years, and they're the only person that I have ever experienced sexual attraction to.

I was really surprised at first to discover that it isn't "normal" to want to be friends with someone before going into a romantic relationship, I could never picture myself going out with someone I have just met, even 6 months sounds too little time for me, and I think I just found those other "crushes" back in school aesthetically attractive, which means I don't wanna hold their hands or kiss them, I just thought they looked neat, and I thought everyone was like this.

Of course I could be completely wrong, I'm still figuring things out and the word "demisexual" is still really new to me, but I have found what other demisexual people said really relatable. Am I demisexual? Are there any reliable resource that I can research more on this topic? Thanks in advance :D
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Am I demisexual?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi hiImcrocheting,

Since other demisexual people's experiences really resonate with you, I'd say that's a big sign that you've found a term that's a good description of your identity! So, if demisexual feels right to you, you get to identify that way for as long as that term feels like it fits.

As for places to learn more, I would start with AVEN and then go from there; because experiences of demisexuality can overlap or have things in common with asexuality, ace resources are often places where you can find useful, non-judgemental information on demisexuality.
sparklingstar
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: The fact that I won't give up something I love
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/they

Unread post by sparklingstar »

Hi Sam,

Gotcha, thank you so much for the reply! Have a nice day/night. :)
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

You're very welcome!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic