What can make birth control less effective?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Jaxmang
not a newbie
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her

What can make birth control less effective?

Unread post by Jaxmang »

Hello!
I was wondering like in the subject what can make the pill less effective? I know saw palmetto can make it less effective, but what if it's an oil that you put on your skin/hair? Also, should I avoid some vitamins like Ginseng?
If anyone can answer this I would be grateful!

Thanks!
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: What can make birth control less effective?

Unread post by Heather »

Most of these kinds of apparent conflicts with the pill actually don’t have any real basis.

By all means, topical *anything* (that isn’t a transdermal medication, like a hormone therapy), is going to be fine. And there also aren’t verified issues with most herbal medicines and such.

For what can be issues, check out the info on this page: http://www.scarleteen.com/birth_control ... ation_pill

And just FYI, since the pill doesn’t offer any STI protection, it’s generally smart to use condoms and other barriers with it anyway. An extra bonus of that is that it also offers backup birth control in case there ever is any effectiveness issue with your pill.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic