Antibiotic and birth control

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
littlemissp
not a newbie
Primary language: Portuguese

Antibiotic and birth control

Unread post by littlemissp »

Hi guys, once again I come here asking for your help.
I’ve read online that amoxicillin doesn’t interfere with birth control, however since I started with the antibiotic I’ve experienced some episodes of diarrhea and even vomit. So I think I should consider that it is indeed affecting my pill. How should I act considering protection and when will my pill start being effective again?
Also, does it matter if I had sex (only on the pill) a week before starting the antibiotic?
Thank you guys 😊
Elise
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer

Re: Antibiotic and birth control

Unread post by Elise »

Hi there littlemissp, and thanks for your question. When people talk about the interactions between medications, its about the active ingredients in those medications interacting with each other. Instead here what we're looking at what seems like the side effect of the antibiotic (diarrhea and vomit, sorry to hear that you're having this uncomfy time) and your pill.

Diarrhoea and vomiting comes with the risk that your body isn't getting the full dose of your pill because it is being passed out of your body due to the diarrhoea/vomiting so quickly. So those days where you did experience this can be thought of as sort of missed pill days, as the risk your body didn't get the full dose is high, and therefore you don't need to have a concern about your level of protection in the days prior to the diarrhoea/vomiting starting.

What you need to do if you will be having sex on days where you're having these episodes is to use a backup method of contraception (eg. a condom, and also for a week after the symptoms subside.

It could also be a good idea for you to see your doctor and tell them that you're experiencing vomiting and diarrhoea with the amoxicillin, they may be able to help you by changing your antibiotic or giving you methods to reduce this happening.
littlemissp
not a newbie
Primary language: Portuguese

Re: Antibiotic and birth control

Unread post by littlemissp »

Thank you so much Elise! I will do so. Unfortunately, my body works like this with any antibiotic so I just have to endure it for a bit. But thank you so much.
Have a great day ❤️
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic