broke up with my bf

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
lycheefan
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: i like drawing
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/they
Sexual identity: bisexual

broke up with my bf

Unread post by lycheefan »

finally broke up with him and im happy i did it but im still so fucking upset about it this sucks :C i know he wasnt a great person for me but i hate knowing that someone so close is just gone now and he was my first real love i hate this
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: broke up with my bf

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi lycheefan,

Break-ups can be so rough, even if they're ones that we know were ultimately for the best. I really like the recommendations this article makes for how to get through those periods where a break-up is doing a number on you: Getting Through a Breakup Without Actually Breaking.

Do you have people, like friends or family, that you can turn to for support right now?
lycheefan
not a newbie

my mom and brother are supportive right now but it still really hurts T_T i just dont want to say goodbye even though i know it's for the best, i wish i could get over it really fast but i know its unrealistic
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

I'm glad you have family support right now! And I think it's sound on your part to recognize this might take some time to recover from. Are there some kind or distracting things you can do for yourself this weekend?
lycheefan
not a newbie

i went to the mall with my mom and got snacks + a sweater :C what do i do if i feel like i regret it because i dont know if its just me not liking the new feeling or if it couldve actually worked..? i just dont know what to do and i feel like itd be shitty to just be like hey umm could we maybe get back together i dont know
Sam W

Unread post by Sam W »

It can definitely take some time to adjust to being single after you've been with a partner for awhile. I think there are a few different things you can do with that emotion. One is to really focus on being there for yourself and even "dating" yourself: How To Actually Date Yourself. After a break-up is a really good time to focus the energy you were putting into a partner into yourself, or into things like friendships.

Another thing that can really help is to remind yourself of all the reasons why you and that person broke up. That can offer a handy refresher on why the relationship wasn't actually working. If those kind of reminders are tricky to do for yourself, you can also ask a friend or family member to remind you of why it's good that the relationship is over.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic