scared of STI testing

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
KeithTheBlade
Awesomeness Quotient: I have a really good memory
Primary language: English
Pronouns: they/he
Sexual identity: gay/queer

scared of STI testing

Unread post by KeithTheBlade »

i’m an afab non-binary person who is not currently sexually active but may be in the future. i want to practice safer sex to the best of my ability, including STI testing. but i’m really scared of getting PAP smears. i find tampons too painful so someone else putting a larger object in my vagina sounds terrifying. plus the thought of a stranger, even if they’re a medical professional, seeing me without clothes on is uncomfortable at best.
Sofi
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I make my own nail art!
Primary language: Spanish or English
Pronouns: she/they
Sexual identity: Queer

Re: scared of STI testing

Unread post by Sofi »

Hi there, welcome to the boards!
The thought of pap smears can be scary for many people, especially if tampons are painful or uncomfortable. I'm not going to lie and say you absolutely will not feel any discomfort, because most physical discomfort people experience during a pap smear comes from being nervous and/or tense. It's best to try to relax (I know, easier said than done!) and remember that the doctor is a professional and they've done this many times before. It's also okay to let them know you're nervous and tampons are painful for you, they'll be more gentle and will walk you through everything. It might also be a good idea to try to find a queer/trans-friendly OBGYN, is that something you would be interested in?
I'll also drop this article here, it explains how the pelvic exam goes and might help ease some of your concerns: Your First Gynecologist Visit
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic