My mom quit her job

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
sparklingstar
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: The fact that I won't give up something I love
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/they

My mom quit her job

Unread post by sparklingstar »

If this kind of topic is not allowed here please just remove it, thanks!

So my mom just quit her job. She's been working there for almost 15 years. I can tell from her day-to-day vibe that she really liked working there, there'll be obstacles, yeah, but she and her co-workers always managed to find a solution to make it through. My mom worked to like 7 p.m. everyday, so I basically spend my whole childhood there as well.

Today she quit her job because her boss is stupid, one of those "I'm the best and you're the worst" kind of people. Her boss doesn't treat her employees with respect, that including my mom. She has told her boss multiple times that changes need to happen so that everyone will be happy, but of course she isn't listening.

I think in general, my mom quitting that job is better for her mental health, cuz her boss made a toxic work environment for everyone. But even if it's been only a couple of days, I've already started to miss all those cool people there. I'm afraid to tell my mom about my feelings cuz I wanna support her decision, but I'm just sad right now. And the helpless feeling is just annoying.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: My mom quit her job

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi hiImcrocheting,

You know, given that her co-workers were people you'd known for years and spent a lot of time around, it makes sense that you're feeling a little bummed out right now. It can feel really, really weird not to have people in your life anymore who felt like constants, and that's probably being amplified by the fact you didn't really have a say in the shift. That being said, it may be that you do get to see some of those people again. Depending on the dynamics, sometimes people have become closer enough friends with their co-workers that they continue to see each other even when one person (or both) leaves the job.

It sounds like this is all pretty fresh, and like she may still be sorting through all her feelings about leaving. I wonder, do you think it would work to have a conversation where you start by asking her how she's feeling about leaving and having lost some of those connections? That might open up a chance for you both to talk about how you're doing right now, and for you to make it clear that you still support her even if losing those relationships feels sad or weird.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic