am i obligated to tell my partner about a missed period?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
dollparties
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: i’m a very vibrant person!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: he/she/they
Sexual identity: queer

am i obligated to tell my partner about a missed period?

Unread post by dollparties »

hi! i hope this doesn’t fall under a ‘pregnancy scare’ post- i am sorry if it does!
i’m just wondering if i should tell my boyfriend about a missed period? i’d like to say, first, that my concern about pregnancy is extremely low. we use a condom every time, and even above that, i have circumstances that mean i do occasionally miss a period without need for concern, and even ABOVE that, those circumstances mean my chance of getting pregnant is significantly lower than average. this is just the first time it’s happened since we started seeing each other, so i’m wondering if i should tell him, on the very off chance that it’s not just my body doing it’s thing?
i’m not scared about his reaction- we talked about this previously (once again, on an off chance this does happen.) and strongly agreed that we would not be having kids, now or ever. i’m more just inclined not to, considering i’m not concerned about it. i don’t want to cause him to worry for no reason.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Pronouns: she/her

Re: am i obligated to tell my partner about a missed period?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi dollparties,

I think a helpful question to ask here is: what are you hoping will come from telling him? Is it mainly that you want him to know what's up and what you're planning on doing? Would like support taking a pregnancy test? Something else? Too, since you know this is something your body does sometimes, if you want to be sure you can take a pregnancy test on your own to see if it's that same condition causing this or if there's cause for concern.
dollparties
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: i’m a very vibrant person!
Pronouns: he/she/they

Unread post by dollparties »

… oops. pondered on your response long enough that my period decided it had enough of a nap. lol :”)
(this happens sometimes! the stakes just seemed a bit higher considering recent sexual activity. this was a good exercise in “not cutting somebody off because i couldn’t communicate with them”, though. thank you for your response!)
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Pronouns: she/her

Unread post by Sam W »

You're welcome, and I'm glad it resolved on its own!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic