First Vibrator

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
sunsatellite
not a newbie
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/they
Sexual identity: Lesbian

First Vibrator

Unread post by sunsatellite »

I’m 15F and I’ve only masturbated a few times but I noticed my fingers got tired really quickly so im thinking of investing in a vibrator. I was thinking of something clitoral bc im scared of penetration and preferably under 40 bucks. My mom and I discussed masturbation a long time ago but I feel like it makes her uncomfortable but thankfully she’s accepting of the reality. I think I’ll be able to get the courage to let her know im getting one by saying “hey you might see a weird or suspicious purchase on my debit card but just ignore it” because I feel like it’s accepted but we’re not going to have a super honest open conversation about it. Anyways sorry for the long post but all this to say, what’s a good place to buy a vibe online and specific recommendations appreciated! (Also would appreciate a better way to let my mom know im getting one and never having to talk to her about it again)
Carly
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Re: First Vibrator

Unread post by Carly »

Hey sunsatellite -- I've got some good news and I've got some bad news. Bad news first: folks who are under 18 cannot legally purchase sex toys, and I'm pretty sure this might extend to using a parent's credit card to do so even if you're pretty sure your mom would be okay with the purchase generally speaking. I'm leaving a note for my colleagues to chime in if I'm wrong and answer your initial question about sites if we can.

Good news is, because you're interested in a vibrator for clitoral stimulation primarily, you may be able to obtain something legally that can be used as a vibrator, like a regular ol' muscle massager. You can buy them at a variety of stores. I've seen them at Target, Walmart, and Brookstone pretty regularly. The chances of you being able to find something affordable at one of those places and walk out of the store with it yourself are pretty high. One thing to note with those options is that they are typically not waterproof or made of a material that can be cleaned the same way sex toys typically are, if that matters to you. To be honest, anything that produces a vibrating sensation can be used for masturbatory purposes, just make sure it's not sharp anywhere and can't electrocute you. Our resource D.I.Y. Sex Toys: Self-Love Edition has quite a few suggestions that you may already have around your home.
sunsatellite
not a newbie
Pronouns: She/they
Sexual identity: Lesbian

Unread post by sunsatellite »

That’s great! Is there anything in particular I should be looking for in a “personal massager”? I actually do have chronic pain and muscle pain that my mom knows about so it would be a lot easier to ask her for it since we have discussed massage guns before. It would be great to have something that is actually multi purpose but how can I find one that has modes gentle enough that it won’t beat up my clitoris?
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi sunsatellite,

If you know you're on the more sensitive end, it can help to look for massagers or vibrators with a wider surface area, rather than ones that concentrate it all in a fairly small point. You can also look up reviews of a given model to see if other people talk about the intensity of the vibrations. And, in the event you get one and it's still a little too intense, some people have a lot of luck using it with their underwear acting as a barrier.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic