Delaying menstruation

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
catto
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Straight

Delaying menstruation

Unread post by catto »

Hello!
I was prescribed norethisterone acetate (minipill) for my menstrual cycle irregularity. I am not sexually active and have never been. The instruction pamphlet mentioned that this pill can be used to ''delay menstruation''. Does this phrase mean the pills also work as a contraceptive method, if I were to be sexually active and take them religiously in time?

I apologize if my question is too silly. Sexual healthcare information is extremely limited where I am from.
Thank you in advance!
Elise
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer

Re: Delaying menstruation

Unread post by Elise »

Hello pepto bismal and welcome to Scarleteen. Your question is not silly at all, we welcome all questions about contraceptives, what they are and how they work here.

Yes, the minipill is type of contraceptive, which if you follow the instructions and take it within the three hour window each day, works really effectively to reduce the risk of an unwanted pregnancy (99+% effective in one year of perfect use/90% effective in one year of typical use). We have a whole page here where you can read about how it works and how to use it: Minipills (Progestin-Only Oral Contraceptives) (you can also hover your mouse over "perfect use" and "typical use" at the top of that page to get explanations of what they mean). If you decide to use the minipill you've been prescribed as a contraceptive in the future, you should use our information in conjunction with the instruction sheet that came in the box as well as that contains information specific to the particular type of minipill you've been perscribed.

One important thing to note is whilst this type of hormonal birth control is effective at reducing the risk of pregnancy, it don't protect against sexually transmitted diseases (STIs). For that kind of protection, you need to use a barrier method like a condom. You can read more about safer sex here: Safe, Sound & Sexy: A Safer Sex How-To
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic