light spotting after sex

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
lycheefan
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: i like drawing
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/they
Sexual identity: bisexual

light spotting after sex

Unread post by lycheefan »

hi! is it normal to experience super light brown spotting after sex? it was a little rougher than usual (tmi oopsies) and we didnt use lubricant. im not near my period either :) it was just one wipe on a piece of toilet paper and that's all that there was
lycheefan
not a newbie

Re: light spotting after sex

im just gonna add that the last time i had sex prior to this was the 14th and we always use condoms, pull out, and check if it leaks or not so im pretty sure it isnt implantation bleeding or anything
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi lycheefan ,

We can't say for certain what caused this, but if intercourse was a bit rougher than normal and lube wasn't used, it could have been that there was a small tear. Too, it could also just be some normal variation in your discharge. Since it was just for a moment, I would say it's not cause for concern.
lycheefan
not a newbie

Sam W wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:25 am Hi lycheefan ,

We can't say for certain what caused this, but if intercourse was a bit rougher than normal and lube wasn't used, it could have been that there was a small tear. Too, it could also just be some normal variation in your discharge. Since it was just for a moment, I would say it's not cause for concern.
so, another question if thats alright, can variation in discharge include blood that took a while to leave the body? thank you for your help
Marisha
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Aspiring sex educator
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: Bi

Unread post by Marisha »

Yes! Older blood tends to be a little darker in color. More here: Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions
lycheefan
not a newbie

Marisha wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:38 pm Yes! Older blood tends to be a little darker in color. More here: Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions
alright! im about halfway through my cycle, so is it possible that this tiny bit of blood was from my old period? or is that unrealistic :) thank you for your patience
Marisha
not a newbie

Unread post by Marisha »

I'm struggling a bit with the timeline. You mention in your first post in this thread that the spotting happened 'nowhere near your period,' but now it sounds like you're halfway through your cycle. So, I imagine that this spotting was likely normal bleeding occurring shortly before your period. From the article: Normal discharge "may have a brown tint just before or just after menses." Hope that helps!
lycheefan
not a newbie

Marisha wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:39 pm I'm struggling a bit with the timeline. You mention in your first post in this thread that the spotting happened 'nowhere near your period,' but now it sounds like you're halfway through your cycle. So, I imagine that this spotting was likely normal bleeding occurring shortly before your period. From the article: Normal discharge "may have a brown tint just before or just after menses." Hope that helps!
sorry! to clear things up, i got my period on the 6th of august and the bleeding occurred the 19th
Marisha
not a newbie

Unread post by Marisha »

Got it. I assume then that you are either about to start your next period within the next 2 weeks and the bleeding may be pre-period rather than post. Either way, it sounds like normal discharge. It shouldn't be implantation discharge not only because you used a condom but also because we aren't able to know whether you ovulated in the time between the end of your last period and the 14th.
lycheefan
not a newbie

alright! and one last question if thats alright, i know implantation spotting is somewhat rare but how long after intercourse does it usually happen? thank you so much for your help!
Marisha
not a newbie

Unread post by Marisha »

Implantation is when a fertilized egg implants itself into the uterine lining, right? So, it would occur after conception (when the egg becomes fertilized), which can occur sometime after ovulation (when the egg is released from the ovary). Ovulation is projected to occur right smack-dab in the middle of a cycle, around day 14. The exact day a person ovulates, however, can depend on that person's natural hormone schedule. "All in all, the process from the moment ejaculate enters the vagina to implantation, what is medically recognized as a pregnancy, tends to take anywhere between around five days to two weeks (read more about the reproductive cycle here)." Therefore, you can expect implantation bleeding to occur (if it occurs at all - like you pointed out, IB only occurs in about 25% of pregnancies) about 10-14 days after you become pregnant. You can read more about this sort of bleeding here: The Period During Pregnancy Misunderstanding.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic