Touching my Nexplanon?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
not a newbie
Pronouns: She

Touching my Nexplanon?

Unread post by 55 »

Hi there,

I’ve had my Nexplanon implant since April, and as I’m quite an anxious person, I’ve been finding it very difficult not to touch the implant. I just keep gently running my finger along it to feel it to feel the texture of the rod (especially as there’s a small sort of bump / lump/ indent about midway down and I feel I need to try and work out what it is). My doctor told me the implant would work even if it was cracked , but I still find it difficult to resist touching it. My doctor told me not to touch it ‘in case’ I ‘break it’, and I have been able to resist touching it on and off. However, sometimes I’m unable to resist. For instance I managed to leave it alone for a week, only to then feel it like 20 times in the space of a few minutes.

My question is, can just running my finger along my nexplanon damage it or cause it to not work? I worry I might have touched it so many times that the hormones might not release or something.

Thanks
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Touching my Nexplanon?

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Holly55,

Touching the implant isn't going to stop it from working. It can help to remember that if things like touch did stop it, or if it broke or failed incredibly easily, it wouldn't have the rate of effectiveness that it does. Does that help?
not a newbie

Unread post by 55 »

Thank you Sam. That’s reassuring because I’ve touched it a lot of times! Do you know why it’s advisable to try not to touch it? Thanks
Emily N
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to cook!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/they
Sexual identity: pansexual

Unread post by Emily N »

Hi Holly55!

Another reason your doctor may have told you not to touch it is to avoid irritating your arm - you don’t want to be prodding your arm or nexplanon constantly, but it won’t damage anything to brush it or touch it occasionally. Do you want to talk more about your anxiety about the nexplanon or why you are finding it difficult to avoid touching it?
not a newbie

Unread post by 55 »

Thanks. So no matter how often you touch it, that still wouldn’t stop it from working or damage it? I feel like I’ve probably felt it hundreds of times by now (and probably 20 times today alone!), which I feel quite bad about, but I’m going to make a concerted effort not to touch it in future.

This all started when I noticed a slight dip or indent (that or possible a little lump) towards one end of my implant a few months ago. That’s what triggered me to want to feel it all the time to try and figure out what it is. My doctor said it may or may not be a ‘small crack’, but she said the implant would still work anyway.
Emily N
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to cook!
Sexual identity: pansexual

Unread post by Emily N »

Just touching it won’t cause the implant to break or stop being effective, and the implant is extremely unlikely to break under most circumstances. It sounds like you have already given your doctor a call about this, and she wasn’t concerned! That’s great, but it sounds like you might still be feeling some anxiety about it? Is there anything that you think would help ease this anxiety more? If anything starts to hurt, or you notice other changes, you can always call your doctor back to keep asking questions. Are there any other things about nexplanon (or birth control in general) that you are anxious or curious about?
not a newbie

Unread post by 55 »

Thanks Emily. She wasn't concerned about the indent, but she did tell me to stop touching it, which I've failed to do :/. I think my compulsion to feel the implant is fuelled by anxiety and a bit of OCD. I just really feel like I need to check on it to make sure I won't get pregnant, and then when Ive done that I worry Ive touched it too much and might have damaged it- vicious cycle really!

I'm also having constant bleeding and now a long and fairly heavy period and cramps, which isn't great either...
Sam W
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

That does sound like a frustrating cycle to be in! Have you found there are any exercises or tools that help you break those sorts of cycles in other parts of your life that might work here?
not a newbie

Unread post by 55 »

Not really but I am seeking out CBT.😕

I’ve been spotting pretty much constantly since May, in addition to having two 7-day periods a month . However, I’m now on nearly day 12 of a heavier period than usual. They don’t normally last this long and aren’t usually this heavy. Could this be directly linked to me having touched the implant or is it more likely a coincidence? Thanks
Marisha
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Aspiring sex educator
Sexual identity: Bi

Unread post by Marisha »

Hi Holly55,

Changes in your flow and irregular bleeding are pretty common side effects across the various forms of hormonal birth control, but what you're describing here sounds particularly irregular in both length and heaviness. The side effects page on Nexplanon's website specifically names what you're experiencing as symptoms that should be reported to a doctor ASAP, which I suggest you do. Let us know if you need further help!
not a newbie

Unread post by 55 »

Thanks I will deffo call the clinic on Monday. In the meantime though should I be worried my implant might not be working? Or that I really may have damaged it from touching it? I’m just hoping the change in bleeding pattern is a coincidence :/ I also now have period cramps :/
Marisha
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: Aspiring sex educator
Sexual identity: Bi

Unread post by Marisha »

Like Emily said, just touching it won't break it or cause it to be ineffective. Implants like Nexplanon are made of a very durable, flexible plastic (EVA to be specific, according to the drug facts). They wouldn't have released a product so fragile that it would break just from the touch of a finger. The effect that the Nexplanon is having on your cycle can likely be attributed to the reaction your body is having to the alteration of your natural hormone levels. Anxiety around contraceptives is pretty common, so we all feel your worry. It may help to actually discuss your anxiety with your doctor to make sure that everything is alright with your implant and that poking it won't mess with its function.

How is your CBT search going?
not a newbie

Unread post by 55 »

Hi sorry for my late response. I am starting CBT in the next couple of weeks, as I am still having trouble leaving my implant alone for instance I felt it like 20 times in the past day and I still worry touching it too much will cause it to not work :/ thanks
Sofi
Awesomeness Quotient: I make my own nail art!
Primary language: Spanish or English
Sexual identity: Queer

Unread post by Sofi »

Best of luck with that, I think it'll be a great step. In the meantime I just wanted to reassure you again that feeling it or touching it won't make it stop working or become less effective. Let us know at any time if there's any other questions we can answer for you!
not a newbie

Unread post by 55 »

Thanks I did have a question actually, but not sure if you’d know the answer as my local pharmacist didn’t. I read online that flaxseed can interfere with birth control . I just wondered whether that includes nexplanon and whether eating a spoonful per day would be an issue. Thanks
Valerie J
previous staff/volunteer
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: Queer and/or nonbinary lesbian

Unread post by Valerie J »

Hi there!

I think this question would be a great one to ask your gynecologist or general practitioners. None of us are doctors on this site so its always a good idea to go to them with questions of uncertainty around medication. Additionally, I think I've seen you mention having some intense cramping in response to the implant; that would also be a great thing to talk to your doctor about.

Overall, I think while you are waiting to start your CBT program, seeing a doctor might help you find answers to questions that have been anxiety inducing for you. Sometimes when we get so distracted and overwhelmed by our anxieties we find questions or issues to hyperfocus on and create more anxiety. So as a way to tide you over until you can learn more helpful coping mechanisms, I'd really recommend going to your doctor.

Best,
Val
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic