Post Period Spotting

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Digdawg
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: I love my pets!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Post Period Spotting

Unread post by Digdawg »

Hey Scarleteen,

This morning I started a new pack of birth control pills. I’ve been taking them perfectly for the past two years, and have just came off of a period. My periods tend to end in spotting, and that seems to have carried over into this morning. It stopped at most a couple hours after I took my pill, so I’m just thinking it’s my body wanting to act up before the pill kicked in or just the last bit of blood still hanging out, but I figured I’d ask for a second opinion just to be sure I shouldn’t see my doctor. I’m pretty sure this happened before but there’s no harm in asking.
My boyfriend and I did have sex a week and a half ago, but given we used three methods perfectly and I did just get off my period, I highly doubt I was experiencing implantation bleeding this morning.

Thank you for answering
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Post Period Spotting

Unread post by Heather »

Hey there, Digdawg.

It looks to me like you're observing something that you've observed happening before, that you often have periods or withdrawal bleeds end with spotting, and that's happening now again. If this hasn't concerned you before, is there a reason it's got you concerned now?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Digdawg
not a newbie

Unread post by Digdawg »

Hi Heather,

I think it’s just been so long since this last happened that I just want to be sure. I also know that sometimes something that’s normal for one person with a uterus isn’t actually normal, even considering how different people’s bodies can be.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Sure, I understand that. Are you up to date with your regular sexual/reproductive healthcare? With your STI testing, and your pap smear and bimanual exam?
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Digdawg
not a newbie

Unread post by Digdawg »

I am not up to date on STI testing or Pap smears. My boyfriend and I have been dating and monogamous since I was 14 and he was 15 and before either of us had sex of any kind, including oral, manual, etc. We also use condoms and correctly because I’m such a stickler about it. I trust him when he says he’s never had any sexual contact with anyone other than me.
That said I do have an appointment for bloodwork in September (ugh) and my doctor wants to test for HIV and Hep C just to establish in my records that I don’t have them. He also wants me to maybe test for other STIs like chlamydia and gonorrhea again just so it’s in my history that it’s not something I have. I don’t know when I’m going to get a Pap smear, I know I should at least when I’m 21 but thinking about it makes my cervix hurt lol.
The spotting hasn’t happened since yesterday morning so I’m pretty sure it’s just from me not yet taking my meds and I’m thinking about it too much.
Elise
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer

Unread post by Elise »

Hi Digdawg, sounds like you are very aware of your body, which is great. As the spotting is wrapping up, it sounds like a regular hormonal fluctuation as you thought.

It also sounds like you're getting on top of your sexual and reproductive healthcare comprehensively soon, which is good. Keeping up to date with this gives you that extra peace of mind that you are healthy, and of course keeps you and your partners safe. A pap smear is an important thing for someone to have regularly once they are sexually active, so best to get that sorted too. Whilst a bit uncomfortable, it's over pretty quickly. You can read more about it here: What's a Pap Smear, and does it hurt?.

Also, you mention that you’re 21 in this thread but your profile says your 17, are you able to clarify the difference for us? It’s important to have this correct on your profile so we can answer questions appropriately, so we require it to be accurate.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic