PREGNANCY TEST

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Aarushi257
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: i think i am funny
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual

PREGNANCY TEST

Unread post by Aarushi257 »

So i read somewhere that blood in the urine wont affect the pregnancy test results
can you tell me why?
i seem to have gotten my period but just want to double check with a test tomorrow, but i still seem to be bleeding.
Thanks!
Carly
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: Bisexual

Re: PREGNANCY TEST

Unread post by Carly »

Hey Aarushi257! Though I have found plenty of sources that say period blood in your urine won't affect the results of a pregnancy test, none of them have explained exactly why.

At-home pregnancy tests are specifically designed to detect high levels of human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) in urine. hCG is a hormone that occurs naturally in bodies of people who can get pregnant at a low levels and spikes in early pregnancy. The higher levels will be present in urine regardless of whether or not someone has their period. If someone is pregnant they will also have higher levels of hCG in their blood, which could be another possible explanation for why having your period will not affect the test results.

I also wanted to offer that if you got your period there is a good chance you are not pregnant. I think it's also good to remember that at-home pregnancy tests are more accurate after a missed period because the hCG needs to have spiked enough to be detectable.

Hope this helps!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic