Intense, Heavy Bleeding After Losing Virginity

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
pascal
Awesomeness Quotient: My boldness
Primary language: English
Pronouns: She/Her
Sexual identity: Pansexual

Intense, Heavy Bleeding After Losing Virginity

Unread post by pascal »

Hi, so I recently just had sex for the first time with my boyfriend. It wasn't for long, and it didn't really hurt all that bad. But soon afterwards I started bleeding very heavily. I am not due for my period for another two weeks, and this bleeding is heavier than anything I've ever experienced.
I cannot keep a pad on for more than about 20 minutes before completely soaking through it. There are giant blood clots that are coming out along with a lot of blood. The blood clots range from being the size of a quarter to two inches in diameter.
I am afraid to tell my parents, even though I am 18, because we do not get along well.
I do not feel weak or sickly from blood loss. In fact, I only feel a slight discomfort in the general area where my uterus is. Were it not for the fact that I am currently expelling a red Niagra Falls from my vagina right now, I wouldn't even feel any after effects of having penis-vagina sex for the first time.
I don't know if it's important, but I am quite small and my boyfriend is quite large. I am very petite and weigh 115 lbs.
I literally don't know what to do or when the bleeding will stop. I took a bath and a lot of blood came out, but still no end to it. Sitting on the toilet let a lot of blood out, but still no end. At this point, I am just sitting on old towels as the blood just keeps soaking out and blood clots rush out. What is wrong with me and should I seek help ??
Urna
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Intense, Heavy Bleeding After Losing Virginity

Unread post by Urna »

Hi pascal,

While it isn't unusual for some people to experience light bleeding for a day or two after vaginal intercourse (whether it's the first time or the fiftieth), heavy bleeding of the sort you're experiencing is not a normal outcome. Since a) your period isn't due, b) the bleeding is heavier than any period you've ever experienced, and c) sex did hurt a bit and our boyfriend is large, I'd say it's time to seek help from a healthcare provider. Is that something you know how to access?
<3333
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Primary language: english
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Re: Intense, Heavy Bleeding After Losing Virginity

Unread post by Heather »

I just want to come in here to say that if this level of bleeding is still happening, by all means, you absolutely should see a healthcare provider. For future reference, anytime you're ever soaking through two or more pads in two hours or less, it's time to go to a healthcare provider (and you do NOT want to take a hot bath, that can only bring on more blood loss), whatever the reason may be. Large clotting is also highly unusual with vaginal bleeding and is something that should be investigated, so please do get yourself healthcare ASAP if you have not already.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic