Sex Ed Books That Promote Inclusion of All Genders

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
potatochipeater
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: listening
Primary language: english
Pronouns: him/he
Sexual identity: n/a

Sex Ed Books That Promote Inclusion of All Genders

Unread post by potatochipeater »

I know that Scarleteen has a book out by its founder. I was wondering however, if you had any book recommendations that teach even younger people (tweens or younger) early on not only about puberty and sex but also to understand and accept all genders and sexual orientation? I want something that promotes that, empathy, and teaches the basics they need to know.
Urna
previous staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Sex Ed Books That Promote Inclusion of All Genders

Unread post by Urna »

Hello! To kick off this thread (as I'm sure our other staff and volunteers will have loads of recs to give you), I'd like to recommend the following books:-
1) Wait, What?: A Comic Book Guide to Relationships, Bodies, and Growing Up, by our founder Heather Corinna and Isabella Rotman --> inclusive of diverse sexual and gender identities
2) It Feels Good to be Yourself : A Book About Gender Identity, by Theresa Thorn --> teaches younger kids about what gender means, its dynamic nature, and how to have a healthy, enjoyable relationship with gender
3) The Every Body Book : The Lgbtq+ Inclusive Guide for Kids About Sex, Gender, Bodies, and Families, by Rachel Simon
4) You're So Sexy: When You Aren't Transmitting STD's, by Isabella Rotman
5) Positive Sexuality: A Kid’s Inclusive Guide to Being Body Aware, by Sara Perry
6) Sex is a Funny Word, by Cory Silverberg --> diversity-conscious book about sexuality for younger kids who know what sex is but want to learn about the social and cultural aspects of the act of sex
<3333
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Jumping in to add one that's coming out in September of this year: "Own Your Period." It's super-accessible information on periods and bodies that's also inclusive.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

I think that it's also worth considering that for those younger than tweens, "sex" books aren't usually going to be "sex" books at all because those often won't be developmentally appropriate or what kids really need in earlier childhood. Instead, those books will be more like books that show relationship and family diversity (including gender diversity), healthy relationships and dynamics, consent and body information and such. Know what I mean? If you're just looking for puberty and sex for folks much younger than tweens you're not going to find a lot because those books just will often be too far ahead of what children in elementary school and younger are ready for and will find relevant. :)

By that token, I can never say enough about my friend S. Bear Bergman's press Flamingo Rampant and literally EVERY SINGLE BOOK they make and have ever made. :)

https://www.flamingorampant.com/

I also want to toss another colleague and friend's book in the mix, Dr. Lexx Brown James', These are My Eyes, This is My Nose, This is My Vulva, These are My Toes.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
potatochipeater
not a newbie

Thank you. It's for a 10-year-old but my partner also wanted something that would be appropriate for a sibling that is two years younger to be able to educate them both at a level they would understand. I checked out the write up about Own Your Period and think that's an important book for both sexes to read and understand as a lot of boys and even men don't understand what females go through. Thanks for all the other recommendations. There's a lot to check out and research.
Heather
scarleteen founder & director
Awesomeness Quotient: I have been a sex educator for over 25 years!
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: queery-queer-queer

Unread post by Heather »

Just FYI, there are more than two sexes! :). There are a lot of sources of information about this, but this one looks like a good primer to start with if you're in need of one: https://massivesci.com/articles/sex-gen ... -title-ix/

I think that Sex is a Funny Word and Wait, What? are actually probably your best bets given this more specific criteria.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
potatochipeater
not a newbie

Yes, that is right. If I inadvertently offended anyone by not thinking of that all apologies. I didn't mean it to read as only two.
Elise
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Primary language: English
Sexual identity: bisexual/queer

Unread post by Elise »

Hello potatochipeater - just chiming in here to add another couple of titles to these great recs from Heather, Sam W and boosterseat:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic