Nexplanon Arm Implant

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
not a newbie
Pronouns: She

Nexplanon Arm Implant

Unread post by 55 »

Hey! So, I had the Nexplanon arm implant inserted for the first time last week. So far, I wouldn't say I've had any side effects, aside from some minor pelvic cramping, which I'm not sure is anything to do with the implant or not? Anyway, obviously it would be great to have no side effects, but I'm wondering how do I know if my implant is actually working? I can feel it under my skin but keep thinking what if I have one that just doesn't work or something. Am I being OTT worrying about that? Thanks!
Emily N
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I love to cook!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/they
Sexual identity: pansexual

Re: Nexplanon Arm Implant

Unread post by Emily N »

Hi Holly55!

It’s important that you can feel your implant - that’s a sign that it’s inserted correctly! Just to reassure you, implants are tested for quality during the manufacturing process, and if there were any “dud” implants, there would be giant recalls. And, on their own, implants are over 99% effective at preventing pregnancy (you can check out more info in this article: https://www.scarleteen.com/birth_contro ... ve_implant )

If you are still feeling anxious, here are a few other things you can try:
1) You can buy a bulk pack of ovulation tests that you can take as often as you want to double check that you aren’t fertile. 2) You can pair your implant with another form of contraception, such as condoms, withdrawal, or spermicide. (there is more info in this article: https://www.scarleteen.com/article/sexu ... ol_with_a_ ) 3) You can also just try more consciously tracking how your body feels over time, as you might feel different when you aren’t cycling than when you are.

Does this help? Do you have other questions?
not a newbie

Unread post by 55 »

Hi Emily,

Thanks for this. Yeah I was kind of worried about the possibility of it being a ‘dud’ like not releasing hormones or something. A few questions if you don’t mind please:

- Do you know if minor pelvic cramping (like period pains but no period) is a side effect of the implant? I’ve been having them on and off for about a week now.

- Presumably the absence of any side effects doesn’t mean it’s not working?

- where can I buy ovulation tests from/ what are they called?

Thanks so much :)
Emily N
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Emily N »

Hi Holly55, of course!

From what I've read, some cramping is a normal side effect, and your body might take a few weeks (or months) to adjust to the new birth control! Of course, if your pain gets worse or just want to double check any of these questions, your doctor can also help if you feel comfortable reaching out to them.

And, correct! If you don't have any side effects, that's amazing! Side effects are not a requirement of functioning contraception :)

For ovulation tests, here are a few that I found, but feel free to search for yourself too! I just searched "ovulation tests" in Google. The are marketed towards people trying to conceive, but ironically, you can use them for the opposite purpose haha!
- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FYDNC0M/re ... 9ESFFPCMMP
- https://www.amazon.com/Clearblue-Digita ... 28bab46b21
- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DOJG6RA?ta ... 28bab46b21
not a newbie

Unread post by 55 »

That’s very clever about the ovulation tests. I would never have thought of it! Thanks :)
Emily N
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Emily N »

I just learned about it from another person at Scarleteen, too! (Thanks, Heather!) Hopefully it's helpful :)
not a newbie

Unread post by 55 »

Sorry. Just one more question about the ovulation tests idea: I had the implant put in a few days before I was due to ovulate, so would the implant have actually fully stopped ovulation this month? Thanks
Emily N
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Emily N »

No need to apologize! For the first week after getting the implant, it's a good idea to use a backup method of birth control, especially if you believe you were about to begin ovulating. Does that help?
not a newbie

Unread post by 55 »

Sorry! (argh, I'm British- can't help it haha!!) What I mean is, I have now had the implant in since last Monday, so it's now been more than seven days. But I was meant to ovulate roughly on Saturday (which would have been only 5 days after getting the implant inserted), so if the implant takes 7 days to work, how would it stop ovulation if ovulation is meant to happen only 5 days in? Hope that makes sense. Thanks :)
Emily N
previous staff/volunteer

Unread post by Emily N »

The implant should be fully effective a week after being inserted, but without knowing exactly when ovulation did/would have started and ended, I don't think we can say for sure if the implant stopped ovulation completely. Does that make sense?
not a newbie

Unread post by 55 »

Yes that does make sense. So due to that basically this month the ovulation test may not work but the implant would still be working, but next month the ovulation test idea should work? Thanks so much. Great work you guys do!
Mo
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I'm always wearing seriously fancy nail polish.
Pronouns: he/him, they/them
Sexual identity: queer/bisexual

Unread post by Mo »

Yep, you got it! The most important thing to keep in mind is that your implant is safely doing its job in the background even if you don't notice anything. :)
not a newbie

Unread post by 55 »

Thanks! Out of interest, do you know what causes the cramping side effect? Thanks :D
Valerie J
previous staff/volunteer
Pronouns: they/them
Sexual identity: Queer and/or nonbinary lesbian

Unread post by Valerie J »

Hi there!

It is most likely your body reacting to the new hormones that have been introduced to your body. This link on Planned Parenthood talks a little more indepth about Nexplanon side-effects. Generally, most symptoms after insertion will eventually go away. If it worsens, talking to your doctor to discuss your options and what might work best for your body is always a good idea.

Hormonal birth control works in a way to disrupt the cycle of ovulation. "A hormonal method is one which works by manipulating a person's natural hormonal cycle or balance in any or all of the following ways: suppressing ovulation, making the uterus less hospitable for an egg to implant, and/or thickening cervical mucus to impair sperm mobility. " Check out this great article Birth Control Bingo: Hormonal or Non-Hormonal for more information on hormonal birth control.

Your body needs to adjust to the "new normal" you are creating through hormones so cramping just might be part of that adjustment. But it will become the "normal" for your body and it will lessen.

I hope that answer helps!

- Val
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic