pregnancy OCD

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Aarushi257
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: i think i am funny
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual

pregnancy OCD

Unread post by Aarushi257 »

Hi.
I've realised that I may have OCD (even though I'm not formally diagnosed and am currently under the care of my parents and can't afford mental healthcare in UAE)
My OCD specifically pertains to pregnancy.
Could you tell me about ways of coping?
I want to get over this scare and go back to studying as much as I did before it (i used to be super ambitious before this scare)
I'm trying not to give into my compulsions and resist my thoughts as much as possible.
My brain keeps saying what if you are one of those people with 11 negative tests and three periods who end up with a cryptic pregnancy or something (NOT looking for reassurance, just looking for some direction to help me get over these thoughts)
thanks.
Urna
previous staff/volunteer

Re: pregnancy OCD

Unread post by Urna »

Hello Aarushi, thanks for messaging!

I'm really sorry to hear that you're struggling with these obsessive thoughts, and it's so great that you're doing your best to take care of yourself and resist your compulsions. While only a therapist can talk you through these thoughts and help you find coping strategies that suit you best, it might help to start by calming yourself the minute these intrusive thoughts about being pregnant hit you, using mindfulness apps like this one-- https://my.life/ (have you used these before? Do they work for you?). You could also limit sexual contact for some time, in case you haven't done so already. Have you thought about what the underlying fears behind your pregnancy anxiety are? And would you be comfortable sharing? Talking through those underlying feelings might feel freeing.

Here's an article that may help with the pregnancy part of your anxiety: https://www.scarleteen.com/article/bodi ... nk_you_are

Here's an article to help with the intrusive thought part of your anxiety:
https://www.bustle.com/p/how-to-actuall ... ts-8800188

Let us know if these help, or if there's anything else you need.
<3333
Aarushi257
not a newbie

The underlying fear is that its a punishable offence here. I am scared that if I don't get it confirmed in time I will be sent to jail. I struggle with anxiety in general and i know the fact that i have not had the kind of contact required to even pose a risk. I'm just scared of the consequence and throwing my entire life away. I try to combat these thoughts by reassuring myself that they aren't real and that my tests and periods should be enough to convince me but i guess my brain is just trying to keep me safe i guess. I don't know. On top of everything else i keep hearing about cryptic pregnancies and the likes and keep getting scared that i could be one of them.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Aarushi257

I think one of the best ways you could take care of yourself right now is to stop reading or otherwise looking for information about pregnancy. It sounds like looking for that information, especially now that you know for a fact you're not pregnant, is keeping you trapped in an anxiety loop. Can you commit to taking at least 24 hours away from reading about pregnancy?

In the past we've talked about you reaching out to some mental health hotlines for support. Have you been able to do that?
Aarushi257
not a newbie

Hi.
Yes I'll try to stay away from looking up information on the internet (which i now recognise are compulsions)
I'll check back with you in 24 hours.
As for the mental health hotlines, I didn't but I purchased a workbook on OCD and worked through some things today.
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

Those both sound like excellent ways of taking care of yourself!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic