Period after 15 days

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
Aarushi257
not a newbie
Awesomeness Quotient: i think i am funny
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: bisexual

Period after 15 days

Unread post by Aarushi257 »

Hi.
I was just curious. My periods were pretty regular but because of my ovarian cyst (according to my gyenac) they became slightly irregular.
My last period occurred 15 days after the previous one.
Is this something I should be concerned about?
Thank you
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Re: Period after 15 days

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi Aarushi257,

Period irregularity from something like an ovarian cyst can mean periods happening closer together than they normally would, so that's likely what's going on here. If your periods keep happening only a few weeks apart instead of a month, I would inform your healthcare provider of that just because having multiple periods close together can have side effects.

Did your healthcare provider offer any guidance on how to manage these irregular periods, or things you be on watching for and tell them about if they happen?
Aarushi257
not a newbie

My healthcare provider is my mother, a gyneacologist.
She said I had a cyst but hasn't been able to check me since January 4th.
It doesn't help that this is coinciding with a pregnancy scare (fingering with possible pre-ejaculate on my boyfriend's fingers)
I had two irregular periods after that, the second one being 15 days after my first one with extremely bad cramps and heavy bleeding.
I can't get it checked out till my mom's machine gets fixed so I feel stuck.
Hoping this period (supposed to come on the 5th) comes on time so i can stop worrying.
Aarushi257
not a newbie

I forgot to add, I took 9 pregnancy tests so i know i'm not pregnant but i come from an extremely conservative indian family and the thought of disappointing my parents (when i have already done that) makes me anxious. Is there a constructive way to deal with this anxiety?
Sofi
Awesomeness Quotient: I make my own nail art!
Primary language: Spanish or English
Pronouns: she/they
Sexual identity: Queer

Unread post by Sofi »

Honestly, I will suggest talking to your mom about getting a new healthcare provider, particularly a new gynecologist. It isn't recommended to have your own family member be your doctor, for several reasons, and in this case it worries me that her machine isn't working so you're experiencing a delay in getting checked and proper treatment. Plus, you seem to be hesitant to open up to her fully about your sex life, and to get proper OBGYN care you have to be transparent about it.
I'm linking a page from the American Medical Association explaining this, so you can have a more detailed explanation (and might be useful in case your mom gives any pushback, to explain it isn't personal):
Treating Self or Family

To address your second question, we can definitely talk through ways of dealing with it. May I ask, how do you think you already disappointed your parents--was it with something similar (regarding your sex life) or something else? And have you had a conversation with them about that or about your current concerns? Often, we are afraid of disappointing our parents because we assume they would be disappointed by [x] or [y], but in reality they would be more understanding than we think.
Aarushi257
not a newbie

I dropped out of medical school to pursue law.
My parents were extremely disappointed in me.

Also, i live in a country where getting pregnant before marriage is a punishable offence with jail time which is why me and my boyfriend abstain from sexual intercourse or even naked humping or naked genital touching or touching fresh ejaculate on to my vulva. (All of the ways that DO cause pregnancy, knowledge I gained thanks to your site)
He's been great about it and promises we were careful.
I still feel anxious from time to time despite the 9 negative tests and 2 periods, second of which was extremely heavy, although 15 days early.
My mother wouldn't understand, sex is a bad word at our house and in all my 20 years they have never spoken about it and robbed me of comprehensive sex ed, so there's some level of subconscious guilt and shame I'm trying to unlearn.
About getting another healthcare provider, I don't have the funds nor the insurance nor the Privacy to do so.
UAE is a very different country in terms of sexual health (aka non existent sexual health)
Sam W
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Sexual identity: queer

Unread post by Sam W »

I'm sorry that your parents support of you was contingent on you following a very narrow education. In an ideal world, our parents would understand that we will sometimes make decisions that aren't the ones they want us to have made. Is that feeling of them being disappointed in you pretty prevalent in your life? Or does it feel like they're otherwise supportive?

As far as anxiety goes, do you notice yourself having persistent fears or worries about other things in your life, even things you know aren't a big deal? Or is it only related to pregnancy?

It can be so frustrating to try and access sexual healthcare when that healthcare is scarce. You may have already looked into this, but this set of clinics may be a source of that kind of care in a low cost, private way should you need it: https://middle-east.better2know.com/pag ... h-services
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic