talking to mom about sex

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
mnths
Awesomeness Quotient: my intellect
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: straight

talking to mom about sex

Unread post by mnths »

hello, i’m 17 and have been with my boyfriend (also 17) for about nine months. in that time, we’ve done some sexual stuff (like digital sex, oral sex, and sexting). i am on birth control and we can easily get condoms and we are thinking about potentially having intercourse soon. my question is about my mom. i am close to her and want to be able to tell her about things going on relating to sex, but i feel like she would not approve (for example: my phone screen is a picture of his head on my shoulder and she said she doesn’t know if she likes seeing him that close to me and when she hears about my friends doing stuff she disapproves and says she thinks they’re making mistakes). should i even try breaching the subject? if so, how? i want to, but i don’t want to be banned from having private alone time with him. thank you for any help you can give!
Sam W
scarleteen staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: I raise carnivorous plants
Primary language: english
Pronouns: she/her
Sexual identity: queer

Re: talking to mom about sex

Unread post by Sam W »

Hi mnths,

Given that your mom generally expresses negative opinions about people your age being sexual, and the idea of your boyfriend being close to you, I think you're right that telling her would likely result in her preventing you from having private time with him.

Can you say a little more about why you want to, or feel like you should, tell your mom about this?

As an aside, if you're thinking of doing sexting of things other than words, I suggest reading this column: https://www.scarleteen.com/article/abus ... ld_i_do_it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic