How do I tell if I'm pregnant on birth control?

Any questions or discussions that you ONLY want to discuss with our staff or volunteers.
(Users: please do not reply to other users here.)
jec3222
Awesomeness Quotient: My consistancy
Primary language: English
Pronouns: No preference
Sexual identity: Queer/questioning

How do I tell if I'm pregnant on birth control?

Unread post by jec3222 »

Hi, I've been on the pill form of birth control for about three years and I've never known how to tell if I'm pregnant while on it.(I've been in a relationship for over 3.5 years now and we're doing our best to prevent it.) I've tried to find an answer to this question, but I can't find an answer. I take the placibo pills each month, hoping that would be an indicator if I am, but I am not confident in that. I always forget to ask my doctor during appointments, and Google never pulls anything concrete answers up. My weight and body type hasn't changed in anyway to make me think that I am, but I really don't know what I am looking for. Can you tell me what I should signs I should be looking for with pregnancy on birth control?
Alexa
previous staff/volunteer
Awesomeness Quotient: i make the world's best pancakes!
Primary language: English
Pronouns: she/her/ella
Sexual identity: queer, pansexual

Re: How do I tell if I'm pregnant on birth control?

Unread post by Alexa »

Hey there,

It sounds like your experience with birth control over the course of the last 3.5 years has been consistent, so I'm wondering why you are keeping such an ardent eye on whether or not you could be pregnant. Of course, any type of birth control can fail so it is worth it to keep an eye on your body & how it changes, but do you feel like this worry about pregnancy is super pervasive for you or keeps you from enjoying your sex life in any way? If not, we can just pretend I didn't go on this little tangent :D

I super recommend a few articles that may help you think about this further, too: I included that last one because of course, pregnancy tests (and ultimately getting any positive test confirmed by your medical provider) is the only way to really know if you're pregnant.

Does any of this feel (un)helpful?
Alexa K.
Scarleteen Team
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic